iR6

What do i need for 288 upgrade?

Hi peeps, had a search but couldnt find a definitive answer on what exactly what is needed to fit 288's on my 95 VR6?

Im sure someone on here will be in the know :)

I already have a set of 288 calipers and carriers from a late mk3 vr6 golf. I have offered them up and it looks as though the corrado discs sit right?

Could someone tell me-

Do i need replacement discs?

Which hoses will i need? (i know there the banjo type)

Do I need to use spacers on the carriers?

Thanks in advance guys / girls!

Yes you need to replace the discs to the mk3 type, they are not only 8mm larger but also have more surface area on the inside edge which makes them such a good upgrade.

You will need the mk3 hoses, whether you want to go goodridge or whatever is up to you.

No you don't need to use spacers with the mk3 golf carriers.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Cheers swiftkid. Think im getting confused with all the possible changes and options out there?!

So if i go to the parts shop and ask for say, '98 golf vr6 discs and front flexi hoses, this will be enough?

Yea that should be fine. Can't remember the year of the changeover but I think its about 96 onwards. I get confused over all these upgrades as well, mk4s you do need to use a spacer but apparently mk4 288s don't fit anyway!

Just go on ebay etc and get a reg off a late golf vr6 then go and order the pads and discs and hoses for that car, pretty sure any golf from a p plate onwards only had the 288 brakes. Well that's what i did and all mine fitted just fine

Going to do this myself over the winter. Just wanted to double check that the carrier to hub bolts froml the Corrado will be okay with the 288 carriers?

Not a problem, anytime. I must admit its one of the reason I love owning a corrado, everyone is so helpful and mature, I own a suzuki swift gti and the owners club is full of absolute ****'s, all they want to do is start an argument, its like talking to 10 year olds. If it wasn't for the fact I love my swift (first car, plenty of memories and it has never let me down) I'd get it crushed and post a picture of a block of metal.

Yea that should be fine. Can't remember the year of the changeover but I think its about 96 onwards. I get confused over all these upgrades as well, mk4s you do need to use a spacer but apparently mk4 288s don't fit anyway!

Bollox! lol. Just bought Mk4 288 callipers of ebay. At least i only paid 99p for them.

Don't worry mrginge, the day can be saved! Off the top of my head I can't 100% confirm this but you will need to use mk3 discs and the mk4 carriers and then all will be fine. It's just the discs apparently you can't use but I if someone would like to prove me wrong please do as I need a disc with a different offset

Bollox! lol. Just bought Mk4 288 callipers of ebay. At least i only paid 99p for them.

Im pretty sure that the 288 callipers from Mk3 and Mk4's are the same. Think its the carriers that differ and the disks.

I bought all the gear for my G60 (a bit more involved, I had to get new drive shafts and everything) but for some reason we couldn't find the right hoses, the banjos were wrong for my car so I had to have them made up at hoses-direct in Harworth, Nottinghamshire. Nice braided ones, as good quality as Goodridge. Let me know if you need some cables making up and I'll give you their number.