P3rks

1993 Dragon Green pearl VR6

Hey everyone.. This is my 2nd Corrado; A 1993 VR6 in Dragon Green.

I bought this last week as a replacement for my '91 G60 which I broke up due to a shot body :(

Long story short I befriended the previous owner of this when I had my MK2 GTi. He's been pushing me to buy this for months and when he found out the G60 was shot he pushed me for a test drive and offered it me at a ridiculous price.. I was sold!

A few quickie photo's from the sale advert..

3344545-6.jpg

3344545-4.jpg

3344545-1.jpg

It's pretty much standard bar a 6-branch, Magnex cat back exhaust, G-Max suspension, de-badged grill and Porsche 928's.

The car was previously on here under a username 'oades' who gave it a full respray in the OE colour and bought lots of new parts like door seals, roof strips and indicators; He really looked after it.. and it's pretty much stayed the way it was when he owned it.. it truly is immaculate.

IMG_03361.jpg

IMG_02931.jpg

I've already done a few little things already such as replaced the ignition switch and removed the bypass start button (and replaced the ignition cowling), fitted my alpine stereo, fitted the seat adjusters which were missing, fitted a OE grill with silver badge (thanks tony-ack) and a silver OE VR6 front badge (thanks kipvw). i've also played with the wiring and got the rear spoiler to work as it should.

I've ordered a VW oil filter, G12 coolant, rocker inlet and TB gaskets, some NGK BKR5E plugs and Motul X-cess 8100 5w 40 (as per this thread: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?51329-VR6-Oil-amp-Spark-plugs) and also some Redline MT-90 gearbox oil.. I'm ordering some Schimmel red HT leads too! So she should be nice and ready for winter..

The car is beautiful to drive but has started tapping ever so slightly as per: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?59268-VR6-ticking-tapping so I need to sort this asap as it the only issue letting the car down. :(

I have lots more in the line up to make it my own including some BBS split rims which I haven't seen on a C before, some Weitec coilovers and fitting my G-Werks exhaust and de-cat.. so expect updates soon...

Rich.

Edited by P3rks

looks very nice but wheels are ugly

But yes they are ugly.. They are going soon, the replacements are being picked up soon.

A little update:

I've given the car a service, new spark plugs, Oil, Filter, gearbox oil etc etc..

5efebee9.jpg

The Redline MT-90 is something else.. I had a iffy first gear where sometimes I would have to go into 2nd before 1st otherwise it would crunch.. now that's gone. I have nothing but lovely smooth gears!

I've also replaced the grill rubbers so the grill sits nice and tight:

7541a4ca.jpg

1d9dbf2e.jpg

A pic of the new grill and VR6 badge:

IMG_3928.jpg

I also fitted my De-Cat G-Werks G60 Exhaust as I preferred the quality over the Magnex and the smaller, more subtle OE style tip. Plus it sounds awesome! Not loud at all, just more purposeful.

IMG_3940.jpg

I also picked up my new wheels. Not the colour combo I like, but they'll serve me through winter and I'll refurbish them come spring to be all silver.. I've spent the last few nights polishing the centre hex as the original BBS centre caps I picked up wouldn't fit in one of the hex's due to the obscene thickness of powdercoat it had. So I decided to try my hand at polishing

Hex as they came:

ba417d8e.jpg

After 5-6 hours of polishing.. Not bad for my first attempt:

4e948007.jpg

Just need to sort some adapters out now and they'll go on in the next week or so.

Finally: The tapping on the car is still here:

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/MrRP/?action=view&current=4ea10a9e.mp4

Sad times.. I've also discovered the car is burning oil after it has done some engine breaking. :shrug:

I'm doing a little digging. It could be as simple as a blocked inlet air valve or crank case breather to something a little more serious like valve stem seals, a worn valve or stem or at worse oval bores.

I've decided if it's a head issue I'll fix it. If it's the bores I'm going to drive it until it either dies or is un-driveable whilst saving for a replacement 24v.

nice work there, your new wheels should compliment it quite well ;)

i aslo need to replace the grill rubbers as im missing atleast 2 , the part number 535 853 393? how many did you need? cheers

nice work there, your new wheels should compliment it quite well ;)

i aslo need to replace the grill rubbers as im missing atleast 2 , the part number 535 853 393? how many did you need? cheers

Just 3.. Makes the world of difference to the fitting of the grill and stops it flapping around.

535853393 - £5.10 +vat for all 3.

Good work.. Cars looking great. Really pleased you've fitted the exhaust from the G - what does it sound like?

Cheers man! It sounds lovely! Raw, but not loud at all. Just driving around town or cruising on the motorway you can only just hear a small burble in the back ground - nothing intrusive, but the loud pedal is lush!

Oil smoke when you boot it after overrun is a sign of worn stem seals (but hope it could still be something cheaper!). May be a chance to change the lifters at the same time and get rid of the tapping?

Grille is looking good by the way :-) Nice wheels as well, though a bit too fussy for me, especially when it comes to cleaning!

I keep promising my Corrado some MT90, but it's just so expensive... I put some MTL in the Golf last year and it made it silky smooth

What's the stuff in the big VW bag in front of the MT90 in the pic?

Oil smoke when you boot it after overrun is a sign of worn stem seals (but hope it could still be something cheaper!). May be a chance to change the lifters at the same time and get rid of the tapping?

Grille is looking good by the way :-) Nice wheels as well, though a bit too fussy for me, especially when it comes to cleaning!

I keep promising my Corrado some MT90, but it's just so expensive... I put some MTL in the Golf last year and it made it silky smooth

What's the stuff in the big VW bag in front of the MT90 in the pic?

MT-90 is the daddy! I'll never use VW stuff ever again!

Well, I'm going to replace the entire cylinder head... If it is the stem seals anyway.. I'm just going to get a spare one to rebuild so I can keep the car running then do the swap in a weekend.

All the bagged stuff is a new rocker, inlet, exhaust gaskets.. I have some polished parts to go on so thought I might as well change the gaskets.

Had the car compression tested today to try and solve the smoking/tapping issue. The car was warmed up to 85°C oil temp before the test was done. A dry then wet test was performed.

Cylinder 1 - Dry 160 / Wet 185

Cylinder 2 - Dry 180 / Wet 200

Cylinder 3 - Dry 145 / Wet 160

Cylinder 4 - Dry 175 / Wet 190

Cylinder 5 - Dry 170 / Wet 180

Cylinder 6 - Dry 160 / Wet 170

I've done a bit of research and 160psi is factory standard with an upper limit of 189psi and a wear limit of 109psi. A 44psi max difference across the range. So i'd say mine are all within tolerance. If anything for a standard, original engine with the original headgasket with 130k on the clock is pretty damn good.. Although the Cylinder 3 does concern me though being lower than the rest... Any thoughts?

I also changed the oil from the 5w40 Motul xcess 9100 back to Synta Silver 10w40 and the smoking seems to have stopped, or at least to the point where I can't see it out of the back window any more. The tapping is still there though.

I think a cylinder head rebuild is on the cards really. At least I don't have oval bores anyway.. phew!

What Bbs have you fitted bud?

they are the BBS RC 041's that were fitted to bmw e36 328 sports normally

they are the BBS RC 041's that were fitted to bmw e36 328 sports normally

Don't they need stud adaptors?

Cheers boys..

But yes, BBS RC 041's and 042's. Stud adapters are needed too but they are ET friendly so it's all good!

better-ish pics.. More to come soon.. Using my tripod so they are less blurry.. Still trying to figure out this DSLR..

4-3.jpg

1-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

2-3.jpg