VeeDub_NZ

24v conversion - bonnet question!

Do I need a facelift bonnet if I'm putting a 24v in? I am about to rip into the conversion but if I NEED the facelift bonnet I want to make sure I have it before kicking into it. Cheers

Yes

Or do what MK2 24V convertees do and chop the engine mounts down.

Depends on the 24V in question too because the MK5 R32 needs less head room than the other 24Vs.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

The engine trims are usually what causes clearance issues, but the MK5 engine doesn't use them. Jay had to cut a support brace out of his bonnet to fit the 2.8's engine trims and I think that was a late bonnet too.

AFAIK, all MK2s and early Rado bonnets cause clearance issues with any 24V, hence the engine mount chopping.

The late spec bonnet only has a positive bulge to allow for more soundproofing to drown out the awful chain jangle of the VR6.

:lol: ;)

I did indeed flush one of the braces from the underside of my bonnet when I did the 24v conversion, but this was only to allow the use of the engine cover to retain the OEM look.

Most conversions don't use the engine cover, or at best use the small old type cover.

It's a 2.8 24v (BDE) out of a mk4 bora V6 4 Motion.

So you guys reckon that my early bonnet should clear the motor fine if I cut the mounts down a bit and run a mk5 R32 sump? I was looking into one of those anyway because it sits quite low and don't want to risk it. Ideally I'd use the bonnet I have, it'll cost me near on $1,000 by time I get a facelift one imported!