mjcp

Heater fan resistors

Can someone explain what the heater fan resistor does?

Last time I had mine out, I stuck the multimeter on it expecting to find resistance readings that vaguely matched to the figures written faintly on the green wrapper. Instead I got figures that simply varied and there was continuity etc between most pins.

Is this a "Ballast Resistor" that varies resistance with current or is mine just knackered?

I am assuming that the higher resistance is for the lower fan speeds, hence it gets hotter on lower speeds which is why the thermal fuse dies...?

Lastly, this is the same method of running heater blowers as loads of other cars use (see eBay etc for heater blower resistors), can someone with access to a parts store have a rummage for a resistor with similar specs and a decent heat sink that we can use to replace ours with (with a new socket)?

mjcp

Hi,the resistor pack in the 16v im breaking is good,give me a shout if you get stuck

Thanks rod

Thanks,

I have replaced the thermal fuse and then replaced it again with a self resetting fuse too... that keeps getting hot and fusing. Therefore the resistor pack would seem to be getting too hot still.

@Rod, how do you know it is OK? (I'm not suggesting its not!, this is part of my question) what readings *should* you get form a working one on a multimeter? For all I know, mine *IS* working and its the fan that's shagged, causing too much load making the resistor too hot...?

mjcp

Edited by mjcp

Hi,i cant give you any readings,all i can tell you is that the fan operated fine

Thanks rod