neo3670

VR6 coil pack issue

Hello people, Just thought i would post this in the hope someone out there can back up my thoughts on an issue i am having with my c. It all started with a intermittant starting problem, sometimes it would start and run, other time it would turn over but not fire up. A quick search on here gave me reason to suspect the fuel pump, but before i had chance to replace it, i then got a misfire, and looking under the bonnet, smoke was coming from the coilpack and turned out no.3 terminal was melting! More research, suggested i needed to replace the coilpack, and i decided due to cost of replacement of the oem pack (and the reliability issues) to do the ford coilpack modification. Got the parts for £10 from the scrap yard, and it was relatively simple to do, fitted it to the c, and fired up...... rough! After checking connections, all correct, but no spark coming from both terminals of the middle coil (3/4). So after more searching it seems that a faulty ICM can cause this, and it was no.3 that failed on the original one. Anyone else got/ had the same issue? I have posted some pictures to show the original and modified packs.

Yeah it's the ICM if no spark from 3 or 4. Move the 3/4 ICM output to 1/6 or 5/2 and see if the problem follows it.

I've got some spare ICMs if you need one. Drop me a PM.

Big Thanks to FishWick, very generous to let me have an ICM for nought, so i got the ICM and installed it......but alas, it hasn't rectified the fault! Damn! Turns out the fault doesn't follow the output when swapped with 1/6 or 5/2 as I originally thought (I must have got muddled up!), it stays put!! So it seems to be the replacement coil has the same fault as the original it replaced, as both demonstrate that the middle coil output for cylinders 3 & 4 are dead!! Surely it cant be that much of a coincidence? I've swapped leads so i know it cant be that or the spark plugs. Suppose i'm going to have to go and find another coilpack and see if that fixes it!! Serve me right for thinking this was going to be an easy fix.

Just by way of an update and to close this thread. I got hold of another ford coilpack and it is now running perfectly! Can't believe both the original and the 1st replacement coilpacks had the same fault but 3rd time lucky!! I have been running it daily since the end of January, the car starts on the button, first time every time, much smoother idle as well. Really pleased with the outcome, since replacing the coil pack i havn't had any starting issues at all. I would highly recommend the modification to anyone.

Been planning this one for a while but couldn't find a suitable donor in the scrappy. Put it on the back burner what with the coolant issues but glad to hear it's running well for you!

I plan to be a bit more radical and swap the VW ICM for a Bosch 203:

5798_Ignition_Module.jpg

They're supposedly bulletproof and used in tons of cars so much more readily available than the VW one. I've found the hardest part to be finding the correct connectors for an OEM fit - plenty of places do the right range (it's called Junior Power Timer, for the record) but there are many different keyway variations to catch out the unwary.

Stone

I think i was lucky in that I only had an issue with the coilpack, not the ICM. And now thanks to Fishwick, I have a spare! But your certainly right in saying the bosch upgrade isn't for the faint hearted. The funniest bit whilst i was trying to pinpoint the fault Maybe someone else out there has already done this modification?

Were your Ford coilpacks the real deal or patterns? I've heard that non-genuine zetec and duratec coilpacks are notoriously bad!

How much was the pack from Ford out of interest? I only ever did this mod using the Bosch pack from Saab / GM / Vauxhall V6s and that was super reliable and also has a beefier spark than the weak VW one.