VR6

Mk2 Golf VR .... Should I?

You've got the Evo for the on road ability.. this would be great for a point and squirt run around especially with tax as cheap as that. Go for it!

Fun and mental? That's what the g/f is for! :grin:

Yeah I'm still loving the 8 - just spent some wedge on new shoes, some tuning bits and a custom remap. Should be around 400/400 now hopefully!

I've always loved the idea of a Mk2 VR - looks and style + one of the best possible engines for it (except maybe an R32!). I just don't know if buying it will be asking for trouble i.e. all of the typical Corrado problems! The main reason is that there's probably only 3, maybe 4, Mk2 VR's over here and this one is owned by a mate/had about £18k spent on it (apparently).

I have to admit, the Weitecs on it at the moment are solid as fook! I'm not sure I'd spend a grand (35% of the car's value!) but certainly £600ish would be a good investment I think!

400! Sounds like we need to arrange another visit to the rock at some point then :D

MK2s are very basic mate. You shouldn't have any major issues. As the Monkey man says, they were consistently well made by Wolfsburg's finest robots, as opposed to Karmann's Blue & White stripey value manual labour. I always loved my F reg 'small bumper' ones. They were very well made and felt super solid. The 'big bumper' models started showing signs of the things to come, such as looms sheathed in tape rather than plastic, cheaper trims, no front valence panel, etc. The 90 ons never felt quite as robust to me.

The only sheddy bit about the MK2 I always hated was the nasty 020 gearbox, but since yours now has the super reliable 02A cable box, you should set for many miles of trouble free MK2'ing....

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so all the quality suspension that works well on the rado applies to the MK2 aswell :D

Indeed Mr Monkey, the famous Reeves MK2 was indeed a 20VT. Everyone at the time said it had special chassis components but as far as I know, that was untrue. It was just a good choice of parts and good driving :D

You've got the Evo for the on road ability.. this would be great for a point and squirt run around especially with tax as cheap as that. Go for it!

Yeah I think that's good advice really Jimbo. I'm after a sort of fun daily that doesn't cost much to run, which means I can spend some money modding it instead. One major drawback of the Evo is the cost of modifying is very expensive! You want suspension you're talking a grand, you want brakes you're talking £700, bumpers £500 each, carbon fibre not cheap etc etc.

400! Sounds like we need to arrange another visit to the rock at some point then :D

MK2s are very basic mate. You shouldn't have any major issues. As the Monkey man says, they were consistently well made by Wolfsburg's finest robots, as opposed to Karmann's Blue & White stripey value manual labour. I always loved my F reg 'small bumper' ones. They were very well made and felt super solid. The 'big bumper' models started showing signs of the things to come, such as looms sheathed in tape rather than plastic, cheaper trims, no front valence panel, etc. The 90 ons never felt quite as robust to me.

The only sheddy bit about the MK2 I always hated was the nasty 020 gearbox, but since yours now has the super reliable 02A cable box, you should set for many miles of trouble free MK2'ing....

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so all the quality suspension that works well on the rado applies to the MK2 aswell :D

Indeed Mr Monkey, the famous Reeves MK2 was indeed a 20VT. Everyone at the time said it had special chassis components but as far as I know, that was untrue. It was just a good choice of parts and good driving :D

Always welcome back to the Rock matey! I think you should help explain that the TT course is, in a lot of ways, just as good as the Nurburgring! :grin:

Good info though, thanks. That sounds like another plus then - the shell is a 1984 car (just a 'C' I think) that has since had pretty much every single part changed! I think I just need to give it a proper inspection to see what the engine install is like underneath. Rust is one of my main worries as well but this should be sounder than most out there.

Always welcome back to the Rock matey! I think you should help explain that the TT course is, in a lot of ways, just as good as the Nurburgring! :grin:

Good info though, thanks. That sounds like another plus then - the shell is a 1984 car (just a 'C' I think) that has since had pretty much every single part changed! I think I just need to give it a proper inspection to see what the engine install is like underneath. Rust is one of my main worries as well but this should be sounder than most out there.

Yeah the TT course is brilliant. Neil thought his R32 was spot-on until he took it round the TT, whereby his wheels were catching on just about every mid corner bump :lol: It was way too soft!

That course will challenge any so-called sports car. Your's and G's Evos definitely felt at home on the TT. Super stiff suspension round town, but almost perfection out on the course.

I never had any problems with rust on my MK2s. They're like the Corrado in that respect. If you see a patch, treat it and it just kind stays the same and doesn't spread. I've certainly never had any holed panels and the like!

I had a mk2 for five years was 1.3 4 gear but still a joy to drive, handled well and and with a 190K on the clock the body was still solid, uprate a few parts whack in a vr spot on, think you would be mad not to have it also considering a gti goes for the same price.

Only thing that puts me off Mk2's now is the rust. They seem riddled with it these days. If the shells good and it has the proper hydraulic clutch ot should be good fun.

my C had a lot more rust than my golf. IMO the older VWs last much better. didn't the paint change to water-based in the last few years from 2-pack?

there's an 07 passat that parks near my golf and it has more rust. 22 years old versus 5years old.

They're height adjustable and he 'thinks' damp as well but I'm not sure. I saw the invoice and I think they're 'only' about £300 or so .... which makes me think just height.

Anyway, subject to having a proper look around it .... price agreed on the car!

If the suspension is damp adjustable I think it will have a separate little reservoir for nitrogen(?) gas which will look like a little cylinder on the side of the upright.

If the suspension is damp adjustable I think it will have a separate little reservoir for nitrogen(?) gas which will look like a little cylinder on the side of the upright.

no they dont.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

They're height adjustable and he 'thinks' damp as well but I'm not sure. I saw the invoice and I think they're 'only' about £300 or so .... which makes me think just height.

Anyway, subject to having a proper look around it .... price agreed on the car!

well for £300 they will not be damping adjustable just the basic weitecs gtx's

Exactly. Planning a proper look round it anyway so I'll have a list of stuff to check before handing over the money :)

Thanks for all the pointers chaps!