CorradoWannabe

Corrado R32 Storm

Is it me...or does the top of the graph read "VW Scricco R32"? Is that me being silly, or have they called it a Scirocco...and spelt scirocco wrong?

Is it me...or does the top of the graph read "VW Scricco R32"? Is that me being silly, or have they called it a Scirocco...and spelt scirocco wrong?

They have indeed! They have also stuck my name (Arif) on the end of the car name!

UPDATE: Things have been quiet on the Corrado front as I've been moving home! Today was the first time in almost 2 months that I got to drive the car. I had been doing some reading up on the Emerald ECU setup for cold start as well as other parts of the software and was keen to try some slightly different settings.

Well, car used to have issues with the idle - now idle is absolutely spot on - funnily it was disabling the option to have the Emerald ECU try to adjust the idle that got it working nicely! That along with minor tweaks to ignition advance settings. I need to test again when the engine is cold, but happy with how it was running today. Another change, that seems to have made a big difference is putting in a brand new battery. I had issues with the other one not performing well all the time, and knowing you have a nice new Bosch Silver one helps a lot!

Today I had a chance to add my first styling changes to the car - very minor - but they do help it feel like your own when you add them on. They may not be to everyone's taste - but I'm loving them :)

MoT is due in the next few days - pretty nervous about that - hope it will get through that, then I can actually fully enjoy the car knowing it is set for another 12 months.

i thought for a minute you were actually gonna use both badges!

I like the idea of R32 badges, but like the idea of a body coloured rear badge..

All the previous badges were removed by previous owner before it was re-sprayed - so I didn't have the Corrado badge, nor the storm one!

I was thinking about adding a note to say that I was not going to keep both VR6 & R32 badges on the grill in case someone thought I was - especially after my 'not to everyone's taste' comment!

R32 badges don't sit well on a Corrado, in my humble one :D Too modern looking and why give the boy racers an excuse to race you?! Stealth is what quick Corrados are all about :D

Someone needs to make a special hybrid badge that reads VR32 :)

I've always liked to stick on badges to say what engines are in cars - I think it comes from me getting annoyed when I cannot do the same to other cars!

BIG NEWS TONIGHT: The car has a full year's MoT sorted! The car has spent most of it's life on my dad's driveway while we tinkered around with the electrical issue I had a while back - from tomorrow it will be parked outside my house for good - and I'll be able to really feel like a Corrado owner again. Exciting times :)

Well overdue an update here - the car has been off road for a few months - but back now and just had the MoT done - it got through ok, just a few advisories.

Edited by CorradoWannabe

Some updates to things that have been done on the car - photos to follow:

1. Wiring

The wiring has now been tidied up. The wires that were bare have been terminated and the wires covered. This is short of tracing them all back to source and removing completely but is much better than how they were before.

2. Performance

The car is now running very well. The engine is very unhappy when cold, but once warmed up the idle is fine (had had issues with this before) and the acceleration and pull through the gears is fantastic, with no flat spots or stuttering.

This car was for sale but during this time one eagle eyed potential buyer (yep you guessed it, he was from this forum) spotted areas on the paintwork where there was some bubbling. After some research it looks like these are 'microblisters' and a result of the respray done to the car in 2008 ish. After finding this out I've decided to take the car off the market and get quotes for addressing this. I plan to then get it fixed and then put the car back on in the new year sometime. Given the MoT is due around April I'll get a new MoT as well.

This means the car is no longer for sale and I get to keep it for a bit longer. I will have to renew my insurance policy but I now have a good excuse to keep the car for a bit more and try and enjoy it more before selling up. I'll post some pics of these bubbles when I get some.

Just seen the OP is around the corner from me too (SW20 - I live just inside the M25 at KT10). Something I've noticed is that the type of Corrado owner is starting to change from people looking for a fast cheap car to those looking to recapture their youth and memories and owning as a second car (it's the reason I bought one). That's a real sign to me that the car is becoming a true classic.

Great story, would love an r32 lump in mine:-)

And can relate to the above as the corrado vr6 was the first proper quick car I ever got to drive and it was my mates dads, twighlight violet with grey heated leather, never forget that day when he let have a go! then I saved and sold to by my first vr at 22/23, 37 now and back in one again!

Bills, four year old boy but still find time to tinker with the corrado;-)

Some successful fixes to the car today - it is now running better than ever. The 'cold start' issues I've had since buying it back are now resolved. Changes made today were:

- Cleaned throttle body

- Added some injector cleaner

I hooked up the laptop to the car and updated:

- Found the ECU was using a default map - the battery had been disconnected earlier in the year and I believe this caused the problem

- Map restored from laptop backup - this was the map following a re-mapping session - so instantly made the car run better

- Calibrated the throttle position sensor with the software - amongst other things this is used to detect idle and was not set right

- Clicked on the idle stabalisation setting in the software along with target idle RPM at different temperatures

The above have transformed the car again and it is running perfectly.

A great feeling when a few tweaks here fix issues with the car - and being able to do it yourself without taking it to a garage :)