dalhalvaig

Is the Corrado based on a VW A2 platform or an A2/B3 hybrid?

I'd always thought that the C was front end Golf mk2 and rear end Passat mk3. Had a look in Wikipedia under Volkswagen Corrado and found this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Corrado

which says

Contrary to popular belief, the Corrado platform is not a hybrid built from A2 and B3 platform cars. The B3 rear axle (as was understood to be fitted to the Corrado) is a heavier duty item than the A2 / Corrado axle. This can be confirmed by the VW parts numbering system.

But if you look up VW Corrado you get this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vw_corrado

which says

The Corrado used Volkswagen's B3 platform in the rear of the car, while using the A2 platform technology up front, which it shared with the then-current Golf Mk2

So which is it?

Heard recently that it is purely Mk2 with the slightly beefier things like rear axle actually coming from a Rallye instead of a mk3/passat chassis. There's a thread up on ClubGTI somewhere I think.

I wouldn't trust Wiki at all - you can edit the page yourself. I could go on now and write Boost Monkey is the best VW expert in the known universe. If we used Wiki as a source at Uni we were handed our assignments back!

Both and neither, 4 cylinder cars share more mk2 golf bits and VR6's share more mk3 (GTI) parts, but both use corrado specific parts too.

As with most VW's there's a lot of part sharing and evolution of parts across models, so some bits get shared with more unlikely vehicles, like the later polos.

The 'fast' steering rack for instance, was used up to about 2001 on the sporty Ibiza's.

There's no B3 in the Corrado at all so the first link is right. I don't know where the B3 thing came from but it has been spread as gospel for a long time.

The pre-facelift cars (small fuel tank) are basically mk2s underneath. Cut the bumpers out of a picture and most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Corrado 16V and Golf 16V. Facelift cars as David said use a bunch of mk3 parts, but were still essentially a mk2 with bits of mk3. Although the rear floor pan is unique for the 15 gallon tank.

Thanks for that. Myth busted.

I realise that Wikipedia is not the most reliable, but with anything you read you need to not believe it (Boomtown Rats - Don't Believe What you Read), test it, check it, peer review it etc. I think these wiki's have been peer reviewed now.

At Uni we WERE allowed to use Wikipedia in moderation, but you needed to show good reason to have used it as a source, which generally meant backing it up with something else. I was doing a Masters and part of that is developing an ability to separate wheat from chaff.

The Corrado was always intended to be the MK3 Scirocco - but once costs spiralled in the development, and VW realised they'd need to sell it at a significantly higher price than the MK2 Scirocco, they realised they needed to rebrand it and launch it as a new model - as they'd be ripped to pieces in the press by making the affordable coupe (which the Scirocco was), no longer very affordable!

You know I'm bloody happy it's not a scirocco, the new rocco isn't a worthy replacement in the slightest IMO (aesthetically and engine wise, not in terms of the drive).