duncgti

Another one saved vr6 content inside

Hey guys thought i would upload a few pics of my new project. Seen this car parked up for the last year and it never moved, so after a bit of investigation found the owner and made an offer on the car. Went down with a few friends to have a closer look at it, it hadnt been moved or started for over 2 years! so after a days work of draining old fuel, new battery,plugs etc finally got it started :). its on 70000 miles and has a ful vw service history stamped up there are a few running problems but i'll get to that after the pics.

Spent the day cleaning it to see what condition it was in, came out pretty nice.

6582140909_aa0251c91b_z.jpg

IMG_0109 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6582145993_3fd6d5f1db_z.jpg

IMG_0110 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6582137955_238357fbcf_z.jpg

IMG_0108 by AvidJames, on Flickr

3 years worth of dead leaves and dirt!

6582132537_395dcfc99c_z.jpg

IMG_0107 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6582126989_3d450fd503_z.jpg

IMG_0106 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6582122341_ac13e4a0cc_z.jpg

IMG_0105 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6582122341_ac13e4a0cc_z.jpg

IMG_0105 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6582119493_53f550755e_z.jpg

IMG_0104 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6582115929_642c6c270c_z.jpg

IMG_0103 by AvidJames, on Flickr

A few pictures of my project Golf I finished earlier this year.

6371064825_f19571e2d1_z.jpg

IMG_1922 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6371112793_d43f3a5017_z.jpg

IMG_1943 by AvidJames, on Flickr

6371162391_22bdc13706_z.jpg

IMG_1968 by AvidJames, on Flickr

5975795650_90342cf05c_z.jpg

IMG_1580 by AvidJames, on Flickr

5975815530_5274e80ef1_z.jpg

IMG_1610 by AvidJames, on Flickr

5975771916_c7bcf4cb10_z.jpg

IMG_1564 by AvidJames, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avidjames/6370383909/

When i first got it home it was hardly running and almost stalling on tickover, so cleaned out the isv and checked the rubber inlet pipework that was badly split, so that has been replaced with a 42draft inlet elbow which has cured all running issues.

The plan is to get it through the mot and use it as a daily for a bit. the only other issues are the immobilizer doesn't work, the drivers door lo3ck wont open, and the windscreen wipers only work on one setting....fast. so if anyone has any ideas why it would be much appreciated. Still not a bad buy for £900 ;)

Thanks guys im hoping to get it back to its former glory! the main reason i bought it was because i saw it everyday on my lunch break just sitting there and it looked to good to just rust and gather leaves! the teg belongs to one of my good mates hes constantly cleaning the thing :) and i've had the golf for 4 years now picked it up on ebay for around 700 it was in a pretty bad way, its been fully striped to a bare shell, all rust fixed, resprayed, new low mileage 8v put in, all new wishbones, bushes, grommets, gaskets, suspension, rear beam powder coated etc nothing was left untouched. and all the work was carried out by me an my dad apart from the final engine tune up so its been good fun. But luckily the c doesnt need half of that doing to it.

Kudos for having the foresight to rescue this lovely unrestored example.

Please tell me your going to keep it fairly standard ? And also keep those excellent trade stickers, reg plate tabs ?

Surbiton, isn't that where they filmed " the good life " ?

Well done all the same ?

fairly standard yeah, im going to do the all the badges satin black tomorrow, the stickers and reg plate tabs will stay but im going to get pressed plates as the ones on it are tatty. It will defiantly have new wheels and suspension at some point in the future but the plan is to keep it very oem+

^^ Good spot with the Surbiton stickers.

I just did a quick google and Ashley John apparently used to be a dealer in Portsmouth Road which runs between Kingston and Surbiton. That is 10 mins drive from my house and I drive down that road most weekends. I don't suppose you live mnear here duncgti?

Good thread this, have always had a soft spot for silver Corrados, very hard to find and this is a stroke of luck -well done! £900? Let me know when you see another one and well done for keeping it OEM! Keep us informed on how it goes, there is an absolute gem of a car here, well done!

Im a little way out from kingston portent i live near uxbridge on the a40, and found this car in highgate, im the 4th owner. Bought it off a nice middle aged chap who only stopped using it because he got a wrx sti that he said was more comfortable to drive, but he didn't want to sell it as he liked it so much. He only sold it to me because i told him about the golf and he said it was going to a good home, he was taking pics of it as i loaded it up onto a flatbed i felt a bit bad taking it tbh. But im more than happy now i've got it home and running i'll try and get a few more pics up tomorrow of the 42draft intake and the cleaning progress. Just waiting for my da buffer to be dropped round by a friend before i can really get it shining. oh and when i was doing the intake i removed the battery and washer bottle etc to check the condition of the bay...not a spec of rust to be seen anywhere! i cleaned it with gunk anyway just so i knew it was all done.

..... im going to do the all the badges satin black tomorrow .... but the plan is to keep it very oem+

Looks fantastic and has some great potential. But the above is a bit of a contradiction.

Thanks for the comments guys means alot, i have checked out osv's build and the look of that car with the bbs 013's is basically what i'm aiming for with this car except i want to do them with satin black centers and gloss black lips so it will be quiet an aggressive look but one i think will work well. And yeah it was only £900 but it hadn't ran for a few years and was in a bit of a state I've already put a couple off hundred into it already with the battery, and intake, filters, oil etc and it still needs more doing to get it through the mot :).

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

i wouldn't say contradiction, i mean its oem in the fact the badges are staying, there just not going to be the original colour hardly a massive change from standard in my books :shrug:

I guess my point is that badges are either body coloured or chrome so to paint 'em black goes against the OEM grain. In my opinion! :) Do what you like though chap!

thats why its oem+ with emphasis on the + :) i know the badges should either be chrome or body colour but they are in a bad condition so black will look a lot neater and not to far from standard..."oem" lol. and yeah i agree osv's rado does look lovely.

In other news spent another few hours playing on it today and discovered i need to buy a new wash/wiper stalk as the copper contacts have worn through :( and also the hazard light switch is playing up. Also found that some cheeky scum has tried to break into it at some point in the past as the lock barrel has been replaced on the drivers side but isnt correct for the key, and there is also a tiny bit of damage behind the handle! good new is we have striped down and re greesed all the locks and central locking components which now work very smoothly. Also repaired the doorcard where the vinyl had started to shrink and come away. And the full closure system now works faultlessly.

You can re-tumble the drivers lock so it matches the others. It's a simple enough job to do. There's a few articles on it somewhere on the forum.

I did find the thread about re tumbling the locks so will give that a go :). Today i got the door cards back on and re attached the membrane so it is nice and water tight, also fitted new wiper and indicator stalks with new hazard switch as it was playing up, and just had a general look around for other problems which include:

1. wipers only work on fastest setting no intermediate

2.cooling fan does not shut down once activated it ran for over 10mins so have disconnected battery

3.ABS doesnt work and the light is constantly on!

also had a look at the alarm today and at some point the siren wires have been cut in the engine bay it looks as if someones had a good try at stealing this at some point for sure!

tomorrow will be removing wheels and checking abs sensors and fitting relays etc to try and get this mot ready. If anyone has vagcom in the ruislip/uxbridge/middlesex are and wants to lend a hand i will cover fuel costs :)