Pat_McCrotch

Anger at people driving older cars?

I get a bit of this in the Corrado - usually in town so there isn't really much point rising to it. But the MK2 Golf is far worse - it seems like every single car on the road wants to race it because of the 'kudos' of 'beating' a GTI. It's pretty funny watching them shoot off from the lights under full acceleration, while I follow behind normally minding my own business, only to draw level with them at the next set of lights.

I think that cause most mk2 gti have been played with and are around 200bhp+ so people think they will get a race everytime they see one. So peolpe are so sad its unreal.

I had it all the time in my old S3 which was 265 bhp, you would be driving back from the shops with my 2 year old son in the back and you get someone in there boyed up piece of sh*t try and race, i wish i could teach my son how to do the bird sometime lol.

I thought because of the layout in the back people always seem to appear on your ass. I have people's headlights disappear fairly often, i just tap the brakes.

With the spoiler up it happens even earlier! The real problem is people not leaving any stopping distance, regardless of how old the car is. I always slow down a bit to give myself extra room (so I can brake more gently if I have to and give them half a chance of not hitting me) but that usually makes them even more aggressive! Can't win :)

Stone

Simple answer re those having an issue due to the 'age' of the car is to get a private plate then no-one really knows what the age is.

Someone didn't give way to me at a big roundabout today, just drove straight out across me. Grrr. Think they were a little surprised when I drove round the roundabout and finished up driving level with the drivers door of the other car! Gave him a beep to wake him up!!!

Old car, old person... People seem to just make the assumption that you're going to drive like an ass I guess. I'm 21 so as a matter of principle I struggle to resist the temptation to unleash the VR's howl when people decide they want to get Colin McRae on me!

I get a bit of this in the Corrado - usually in town so there isn't really much point rising to it. But the MK2 Golf is far worse - it seems like every single car on the road wants to race it because of the 'kudos' of 'beating' a GTI. It's pretty funny watching them shoot off from the lights under full acceleration, while I follow behind normally minding my own business, only to draw level with them at the next set of lights.

Ditto Golf! I even took the red 16v badge off the back of the Corrado as people just assume it's a G60/VR6 as it's quite hard to read from a distance and after that they left me alone.

In the golf I pretty much just stick with the lorries unless they're going epicly slow. But the A34/43 dual carriageway roundabouts are nice to carry speed through when it's safe to do so. Too often you see people storm past you and then slow right down at the next junction/rbout because they can't handle their own vehicle, or get scared of becoming a ditch hunter.

I was quite glad of the VR this morning, a pickup speeding towards me lost a 8'x1' metal-clad crawl board as it rounded a bend. It bounced down the road about ten feet behind me, if I'd been a half-second slower it would have come through the windscreen at 60...

As I was stopped with hazards on moving it out of the road the driver appeared from round the bend..."Sorry mate, the bungee snapped on us" :agrue:

Stone

Yeah, let him (the driver of the lorry) tell that to the family whose father have just been beheaded... ;( ;( ;(

Cheers,

Redfox.

Going through Cannock Chase a car was hanging off my bumper so i did the norm and slowed down until he got the message. After hitting 15 he looked quite annoyed :lol:

Neill may have a point in this theory - it certainly will explain why so many people like to sit so close to my rear bumper even a tap on the breaks, once they back off a little, see them try to reattach themselves back onto it. Drives me mad considering if they did go into the back of me the corrado would be written off :(

i think lots of people are in agreement here that people drive way too close behind to give time to react.If i was in rubbish car i wouldnt care about it getting wrote-off, their insurance will be paying but i try and avoid it if possible.If the corrado gets written-off by someone driving too close ill get out of the car and deck the driver of the other car straight off!!

What do people achieve driving on other peoples bumpers?there is 100% no point and idiots need to realise this.

I have to admit to enjoying driving the C again. I find people let me out, move over on the motorway, have a good look at it in traffic etc.. And its not even smartened up yet.

To be fair though I have come from driving my X5, which generally was treated with distain by all :) :)

Jay

I have to admit to enjoying driving the C again. I find people let me out, move over on the motorway, have a good look at it in traffic etc.. And its not even smartened up yet.

To be fair though I have come from driving my X5, which generally was treated with distain by all :) :)

Jay

The reason I don't like to let X5s in in slow moving traffic is the same reason I don't particualrly like to let lorries in - you can't see much when there's one in front of you!

To be honest I don't like people driving too close whether I'm in the Corrado or a 'cheap' car I don't care about - if they run into me and they get full blame for the accident your insurance premium will still go up (as I found to my cost)

The other day I saw* a nice sticker on the back of the other car. It said in a very small font something along the lines of : "If you can read this, means we are either stuck in traffic or you are a complete moron - keep you distance!"

* We were stuck in traffic :)

The reason I don't like to let X5s in in slow moving traffic is the same reason I don't particualrly like to let lorries in - you can't see much when there's one in front of you!

To be honest I don't like people driving too close whether I'm in the Corrado or a 'cheap' car I don't care about - if they run into me and they get full blame for the accident your insurance premium will still go up (as I found to my cost)

Your insurance premium went up? thats illegal and you could of taken the insurance company to court over that. Unless you still got a portion of the blame even when you havent done anything wrong yourself.It pays to have legal cover with insurance.They'll fight on your behalf to stop stuff like that happening. My insurance didnt change after the incident down the nurburgring because i had legl cover and no-claims protected.Then again insurance does work a little different over here

Excuse me for my lacking knowledge, but, I guess it's possible to see what year a car is just by looking at the plates in England, or how does it work?

Because over here (in Sweden), pretty much no one seems to be willing to accept that my '89 Corrado really is that old, as the design of the car probably seems to be much more modern than that...

And people who drive too close really annoys me too, but if it's a bit of open road I'll just give it a bootful to show that it isn't just any old VW they're tailgating! :grin:

Apologies for the mumsnet post :lol: But do you think people are ageist against our Corrado's?

I wouldn't take it personally against Corrados! Driving standards nowadays are deplorable. The Clio driver is soon likely to contribute to the rise in insurance premiums - especially for the young sadly.

She should try driving my daily drives - 1973 Triumph GT6/ 1980 Dolomite - their brakes would soon slow her down:thumbleft: Both have more than enough poke to keep up with modern cars so I ain't no roadblock but I guess they're a little ancient to attract boy (or girl) racers.

The closer someone drives behind me, the more space I leave in front.

Will find out soon enough if attitudes to Rados are different though when - hopefully, I pick one up soon :cool:

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by Dollyman

Right, im convinced that the Corrado is indeed an idiot magnet.

Tonight heading from Leeds to Wakefield, headed through a large village/small town. Came to some large speed bumps - the sort that goes across the whole road. Some idiot in a punto almost going into the back of me. Fool!

Next up (same trip) was on the way back to leeds heading up the M1. I pulled from the outer lane to the middle another 300 meters up the road we approached a slip road. Traffic was coming on including a truck with a road works van behind. As i approached the d!ck in the van signalled and immediately pulled into the middle lane. I was only about 20 meters behind and had to go round him in the outer lane.

Again, a few miles down the road, similar situation but no slip road. In the middle lane. Box van driving behind a truck, van wasnt gaining on the truck. Suddenly signalled and moved out immediately again had to go round in the outer lane.

Both vans pulled out as soon as they started to signal. Neither waited to see if i would flash them or move over to the outer lane - i probably would if they'd have just signalled and not moved straight out.

What the hell is wrong with people!!!

I dont think thats got nothing to do with being in a corrado or not... Thats how people live now a days... People are stressed, and a car is just an object to take from a and b. Its just getting harder for us people that do care for the car we own. One of the roads I take to go to work every day is just completly f#cked, I do it at 20/30mph... Its incredible the amount of other drivers that get pi##d off just becouse I care for my car and they cant see that.

I've noticed people driving waaay to close... I make a habit of slowing right down for speed bumps, and that clearly pi$$es off people behind me.

And when the road surface is crap (full of holes) I drive slowly, and often get beeped at from whoever's behind :lol:

Too bad the council doesn't bother fixing the roads..

Supercharged has found out first hand about people travelling too close, and the Corrado being an idiot magnet. His Corrado TDI was rear ended pretty badly around the end of 2010 / early 2011. It took MONTHS to get put right properly.. finally all sorted, been back on the road six months and found out last night he got rear ended AGAIN so the car is going to be back off the road and back into the body shop. Utter joke. He was stationary, waiting to pull onto a roundabout as well!

I make a habit of slowing right down for speed bumps, and that clearly pi$$es off people behind me.

Hmm I do exactly the same and also noticed people reacting in funny ways to it - some get right close to you, other flash lights. I suppose nothing can be done about it. For as long as they stay away from running into my rear they can do whatever they want.

On a side note, in my old Focus I could drive through some of the Leeds speed bumps much quicker than in a Corrado without braking my back or my car in the process.

Edited by guildmage

I think it's just really crap driving standards overall, but as an old driver in an old car I suppose I annoy just about everyone.