Pat_McCrotch

Anger at people driving older cars?

Apologies for the mumsnet post :lol: But do you think people are ageist against our Corrado's?

Driving to work this morning, came to a T-junction and see a 03 plate Clio about 400 yards down the road, no problem for the VR6 so I pull out and quickly get up to 55mph (it's a national limit and a blind bend is 400 yards further down the road).

Said driver (20 something bird) decides this is not good enough and overtakes me at about 70mph as we are coming up to a blind bend another 400 yards down the road and bipping her horn as she does. She then has to anchor on for the corner as she doesn't have the confidence to take it :roll:

Other examples have been people in new cars (repmobiles in particular) closing gaps on dual carriageways or sitting right on your bumper etc. It's almost like people treat you as a second class citizen because your car wasn't made in the 21st Century!? :? And it's all very well giving it beans to show their 320D's up, but why should I? Can't I just drive my car the way normal people do without having to prove a point? What the hell is going on! Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Maybe it's because I'm currently on winter winter wheels and the car looks a little 'naff' at the moment?

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

Think alot of it is people see the plate n think old car [as you said ] .They dont know what a c is and what power they have ,they just presume. Be nice to meet mrs clio on the straight ........hold the c in third while clio is screemin ....... then leave her behind with a queen like wave .

Only entertaining reaction I've ever had to a Corrado was some old dude in a Mercedes E320 - proper barge of a thing. Was out for a drive one evening in my old G60 and I came round a corner onto a little mile or so stretch of dual carriageway. As I went round this corner I noticed said Merc taking the corner on my outside, and barely hanging onto the road as it wallowed around (if you've ever driven the bigger Mercs, you'll know they're like boats!) - so as the road straightened I gunned it as the road was totally empty and so did he. I was really enjoying the little race and was slowly starting to edge away from him. I looked over expecting to see him enjoying the sprint too but he looked FURIOUS and was almost swinging off the steering wheel. In the passenger seat was some old crone (his wife I guess) gripping her handbag on her lap and looking dead ahead. We got to quite silly speeds and I was still pulling away before I realised this could potentially not end well so I backed off. Mental.

I guess my old J plate G60 put up a bit more of a fight than he was expecting.

I wouldn't take it personal. Some people need to get from a to b as fast as possible (you know because they're the only ones who are busy) and have little courtesy for those that get in their way. For some reason, as mentioned before, whenever I cross paths with irate drivers, it's either young bids in lesbian chariots or middle aged family man in his road boat.

I get it most times right by my work.

There is a crossed roads with traffic lights on it and two lanes entering and about 20-30 meters after the junction it merges into one lane but the merge is from the left to right not the usual right to left. If there is space I try and get into the right hand lane as its easier to get ahead if there is no more than 1 car in that lane. other wise i get pushed into the oncoming traffic because people just dont know how to filter

The other week I was in the right hand lane at the front in my golf (1.4 :afro: ) and some old git in a rover 25 was in the left hand lane. when the lights went green i pulled a head quickly to get in front with plenty of space, he must of been a meter behind my bumper in his lane. Then just as it started to merge (left to right) he shot up the inside of me and started to force me into the oncoming traffic. Being in the golf there was nothing I could do apart from brake and give way. He certainly got an ear full at the next traffic lights and he jumped a mile when i bashed his window.

Had it again tonight with two cars in the left hand lane luckily I was in the corrado so just booted it past them.

I wouldnt mind it if they were to go faster than I do but every time they do it they drive at 30 mph or less ( its a 40 )

Normally don't have any trouble, but I did have a tricked-out M3 tailgating me on the M20 the other day. He looked quite surprised when I took off and we spent the next 20 miles trading places :lol:

Only had that once in a dark heavy rain evening in the middle of the capital, when there was a total obscure trafic jam all over. A driver in a huge 14-wheeler decided to press me into the oncoming directional trafic, and I chose to brake and blend in. No need to stand up for my rights as I could have been squeezed and he wouldn't even have noticed. I guess he just didn't see me. Wonder why as my Corrado is a tall one at 125 cm???

Cheers,

Redfox :x-mas:

It's not just Corrados that seem to get up peoples noses. People seem to accept that my Mk1 rocco is something not to mess with, but my wifes Lupo really gives people the s*its, they try to beat it all of the time and when they lose they get angry. I know it looks like it's smiling, but in the same way a cat looks at a rat as it tears its guts out with it's back claws!

You get that everywhere pat,id ignore it usually because theyre usually the one that ends up on theyre roof in a ditch somewhere.Only when people are outright dangerous or WAY TOO CLOSE for comfort i get a bit annoyed.

But even though i drive like Miss daisy most of the time,i have to play sometimes you know,gotten make a point.Having the 20vt makes it so much more fun.

I would drive about 48 kmph in 50 kmph zone and Mr/Mrs angry/dont care about anyone else on the road would come flying around a bend (way over the limit)right up my rear bumper to one extent once i couldnt see his headlights anymore.this annoys me a bit so i drive slower.so he toots his horn,flashes his headlights anything to make me go faster,i slow down even more.sometimes even down to 40 kmph. I laugh as he throws a fit in the drivers seat and i wait til i get to the end of the restriction.He revs the crap out of his engine as he trys to overtake at with point i give a bit of power to keep us level even though he is on the wrong side of the road(i only do this if theres no oncoming cars) and laugh as he trys but cant overtake,then give the C some power to pull anyway cleanly so he has watch as you dissapper into the hiorzion wondering why did he think about trying to bully other people off the road in the first place.

I can be D$%k at times but only when people force me to it.Just seems Corrados are sh1t-magnets for a$R$eh0le drivers who think their car is 100 times better than that old banger in front with a funny shape.I just do it now and again to prove a point!

I get it most times right by my work.

The other week I was in the front in my golf (1.4 :afro: ) and some old git was in the left hand. i pulled head quickly to get in front with plenty of space, he must of been a meter behind my bum. Then just as it started to merge he shot up the inside of me and started to force me into coming. There was nothing I could do apart give. He certainly got an ear full and he jumped a mile when i bashed.

Had it again tonight with two in the left hand.

I wouldnt mind it if they were to go faster than I do.

Jake, it's not that kind of thread... did this all happen up at Birdlip viewpoint? :lol:

Jake, it's not that kind of thread... did this all happen up at Birdlip viewpoint? :lol:

How innocent is my mind? I had to read this twice before it dawned........lol

I seem to get a lot more grief driving my C, have been driving my woman's 58 plate seat ibiza probably in a much more lairy style and noone seems to mind. I am only reading this thread because I thought for a moment the title was 'Anger at Older People Driving Cars'. my mistake

Darn you Andy stop abusing you moderation powers :p

It's a fact people look down their noses at old cars, the older they are the more they do it. Never minded in the g60 and loved wiping the smirk off rep mobile mans face.

When the beetle goes on the road (over 40 years old now) people go out of their way not to be "stuck behind" it and pull out on you all over the shop.

Weighing bugger all and have the 1600 engine it's quite nippy though (up to about 60!) so the majority of the time you can whip round them and then slow down to make them suffer! Probably doesn't help the cause but what can I say I'm an ass and dont plan on changing.

Jake, is that pic of you cracking one out over the side of that poor Rado?

No im not, When we had the Christmas curry and cruse I was tricked into looking into the back of a corrado to make it look like I I was ticked into looking into a back of a rado so it looked like I was spying

Edited by Swompy

I get a bit of this in the Corrado - usually in town so there isn't really much point rising to it. But the MK2 Golf is far worse - it seems like every single car on the road wants to race it because of the 'kudos' of 'beating' a GTI. It's pretty funny watching them shoot off from the lights under full acceleration, while I follow behind normally minding my own business, only to draw level with them at the next set of lights.