Ronko

VR6 dark burgundy - wheel refurb

Cheers guys, yeah a meet would be good. I know what you mean about less work and the powder coating but I don't mind a bit of paint work plus the bills already mounting up.

Edited by Ronko

finished of the wishbones and got it all back together at weekend and got 4 wheel alignment and camber set up this morning, its running very straight and responsive now. I ground as much surface rust off as i could then treated it with jenolite it turns all the rust white after about 1 hour sand it back again, then anti-corrosion primer then gloss black spray. The front bushes are a bit of a nightmare to replace but got them in in the end with perseverance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53605[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]53609[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53613[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]53617[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53621[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]53625[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53629[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]53633[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53649[/ATTACH]

re-greased the belt tensioner too and gave the engine panel a new lease of life, did this a few month ago but just found some pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53641[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]53645[/ATTACH]

Edited by Ronko

Nice work there . All the work you have done wishbones ,bushes, n the like i need to do as well ,i keep planning it every winter .......and then i dont get round to it .

Thanks you should make time for it pal its quite satisfying when its all feeling straight and firm.

Guy

You've completed my next job, I want all the ball joints etc replacing along with ARB's just for peice of mind........... and a little ocd cleanliness!

Was there much difference in the drive after?

I used a anti rust primer made by a company called cromadex but I recon it wouldn't matter to much as long as all the rust was removed first. Macdaddy there is a difference as it goes in a perfectly straight line and steering feels perfect. That's only after I got the camber and tracking set up. Well worth it though for the piece of mind. Renshaw use my pics if you want haha just reverse them or something no one will know. :confused:

A few people seem to be after doing this job so might aswell tell you the prices I got from VW and GSF

VW GSF

Full wishbone £117 £35

rear wishbone bush £17.50 £9

front wishbone bush £10 £3

ABR bush £3 £1.50

drop link £27 £11

ball joint £30 £11

Thats all each and not including VAT

The only thing i got from GSF were the drop links and the ball joints, All bushes were from VW which I think was a wise choice. And obviously I wast going to pay that price for a full wishbone from VW and I bet the GSF ones were crap so that's why I just did the bushes. Then the 4 wheel alignment and camber set up was £80 which was a kick in the balls but that seems to be the rate everywhere. So your looking around £200 for the full job.

Over the last week ive refurbed my rear wheels DIY style, I did the front wheels in October before the new tyres went on the same way. There was quite a bit of corrosion under the paint which I ground out I then flatted it all back and painted and lacquered.

Before

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56069[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56073[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56077[/ATTACH]

After

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56081[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56085[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56089[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56093[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56097[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56101[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56105[/ATTACH]