8vMatt

Need Advice About the Brake Regulator please....

Hi guys,

Recently I had a new brake pressure regulator fitted. The one that fits under the car just infront of the rear passenger wheel. This is a new unit from the shops and no adjustments were made to the positions of the front/ rear bias. After everything was finished and fitted, I took it for a test drive. On a long straight piece of road I put the anchors on and ooo the back locked up easily. A couple more goes and the same. So I'm thinking I need to somehow move the bias more to the front brakes. I chatted to Chris Langers and after he had read the Bentley manual, said there needed to be a special tool to adjust it.

So guys, what do I need to do here please. Any thoughts on this part of the car would be very welcome.

Cheers in advance.

it's pretty simple, with just you and a bit of fuel in the tank the valve lever should be fully at rest, as you add weight to the car the lowering of the rear (raising of rear axle) should then start to open the valve, it's just a bolt in a sliding bracket to adjust the opening position IIRC

I'd imagine you have it set partially open at the moment when the car is empty

No adjustment like that Matt. Its a crude cross bolt in two arms with sliding slot arrangement. Where is the bolt in the slot at present? (Top, midway, bottom?). Photo would be useful.

Edited by RW1

Just had a look now. I see what you mean now Chris, the bolt is about a qtr to third the way up the sliding section from the bottom. Would I be right in thinking that the bolt should be higher up to help the front brakes? Maybe two thirds?

Half way is spot on for a lowered VR6.

Technically speaking, you don't need the rear bias valve for cars fitted with ABS (according to the MOT). I know of a few people who've dumped it on the VR with no adverse effects and VW also binned it on the later MK3 Golf VR6s.

They're a right PITA on the VR. They practically need replacing every time you redo the axle bushes, which if mine's anything to go by, need doing every 60-70K.

Thanks to all you guys for your help. Langers and I got it sorted and adjusted to the middle. Driving now feels confident and I can relax about using it again. Yeah!

your welcome fella, yep all sorted now just have to worry about the massive welding marks under it two words CUT n SHUT:0 HA LMFAO sorry son car was looking tidy yeah kev think your right basically if it werent there not tested and if it were cant leak, and must be secure etc