Big Adam

Changing the heater matrix, any pointers?

As above, i need to change the heater matrix as the pipe has perished.

I believe i have to take the dash out but looking for some pointer as i dont want to butcher it in when i loose my pacients!

I manage to do it without the dash out method. The hardest bit will be taking the glove box out. Dont forget to take lots of digital pics to remind you how to put things back and where each screw goes.

I never figured out why the two screws in the centre storage area (below the ashtray)were so damn tight. I just left those screws well alone !!!

Edited by VWVW

it's really not that bad doing the dash-in method, just hope the bolts from the engine bay into the air distrbution unit are not siezed, check them out before starting anything!

It's a bit of a ballache, but not really difficult. Cover any electrics behind the centre console. I think that's how I cocked up my immobiliser by getting it wet when removing the old one. Get some sticky backed foam too. The vent flaps are covered in foam, blowers are not quite as effective any more, and I get occasional puffs of foam through the vents!

i done mine with dash in place,i wouldnt drink loads of beer when doing it tho.i felt like smashing the dash to bits trying to get it back together

Well if the weather is as good as it is today, i may treat the car to some sunshine and change the matrix over, or at least make a start!

cheers for the link and tips :)