wafers

Buying a car and looking for rust

I'm on the lookout for a Corrado VR6 and I'm wondering how much rust I should expect to find on one? Some look ridiculously clean, but I assume have had paintwork, or is that the norm? Others seem to have rust bubbles appearing in lots of places....

Corrados generally are well protected from corrosion, given that they were zinc coated and wax treated from the factory. Corrosion areas on the body are typically caused by neglect to repair body damage and poorly repaired damage by alleged professionals. The other areas to watch out for are underneath the car. In particular at the sill jacking points where unprotected trolley jacks have been used to raise the car. Also where the underbody vinyl has become impaired and has allowed water to get underneath and corrosion to get a hold. Favourite spots are where rear ABS sensor wiring passes through the chassis, and next to the rear beam mounts. Checking a prospective purchase for corrosion is about being thorough and well within any would be buyers ability, no need to pay out for this. May a good job of it here and one major cost will be minimised. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need to go see them in the flesh to build up an idea of what you get for your $. Have a look s the buyers guide it should explain where you normally find rust on a c.

I assume mine's a fairly standard example of a poorly-treated car...in which case the worst spots will be in the tailgate lid under the spoiler (around the recess the numberplate lights sit in) and the rear wheel arches. You have to raise the spoiler to properly inspect the former - the latter can be hidden quite well with filler so watch out! I keep finding extra spots that need attention but it's all going back to primer sometime this year anyway so I'm not too worried :)

Stone

I'm also currently looking at rado's. I've been looking for a buyers guide for problem areas, but not been able to find one, could you link me to one Captainredeye?

I find it's handy having an aluminium jack that you can throw in the car before you go, nice and light light, and it means you can give the car the third degree :rambo: