Portent

Opinions of e36 m3 and would you have one instead of a Corrado

I've been offered a particularly nice e36 m3. Not seriously considering it as replacement but something in the back of my head taps away at the extra power and maybe it would be a better long term investment?

Opinions?

i had the same thought a few weeks back as a very nice one came on ed38, they are really really nice cars and one of my favourite M cars, and 321bhp from a 3.2 while vw can only get circa 250bhp from a lot newer 3.2 engine.

i say DO IT,

karl

Hold out for E46 M3s to come down in price as it's a far superior car in every respect, imo...

Sorry Karl, the M 3.2 and VAG's 3.2 are chalk and cheese :D The R32 could easily match it if you spec it like for like, i.e. throttle bodies, lairier cams etc etc. The R32 engine actually has more cam adjustment than BMW's VANOS, but VW don't make a big thing about it ;) There was a german race series where R32s were equipped with Schrick cams and short runner intakes and they were putting down well over 300hp :D

yeh i understand they are completly different engines, but come on 320bhp is not bad at all from an engine that is circa 12 years old.

and i prefer the styling of the e36 compared to the e46 especially in m mode

They rust like a mofo on the back arches dont they? I quite like them and have been looking at the saloon version, quite a cool Q car to have.

yeh the back arches are prown to rust. and the smg gearbox is rubbish and watch out for the dreaded vanos rattle on then.

yeh i understand they are completly different engines, but come on 320bhp is not bad at all from an engine that is circa 12 years old.

Not disputing it's an impressive engine mate ;)

Im pretty sure most dont make over 280-290 brake on rollers?

Either way they're an epic car, if only my insurance would allow me to have one!

I had one after my first vr and after a while the novelty of the power wore off. I had an e46 too it's a far better car,but neither has the charisma of the corrado for me.

Either way they're an epic car, if only my insurance would allow me to have one!

It's true. Ironically, the smaller 3.0 E36 engine was always noted for making more than it's quoted 286hp :D

about two months ago i looked at one with a good mate, and it did 328 bhp on the rollers at CA automotive a few weeks before, so it all depends on how they have been looked after, and true Kev the 3.0 pre evo engine is regarded as a much stronger engine, bit like the 2.8 vr6 being stronger than the 2.9 corrado vr6 engine.

Anyway Andy get some pics up of the one your looking at

I drove a Dakar Yellow 3.0 litre way back in 2001 and that felt such a nice engine. Creamy smooth with an elastic power band that didn't end. The steering was truly awful though. Very vague and over assisted. I don't know if the 3.2 Evos got any better in that respect?

I drove a 98 I think it was and the steering felt spot on. In fact everything did, the pull at high revs was unbelievable.

Amazing car but I'd still have a 24v rado like yours Kev!

Edit: a quick note, those Vadar seats are amazing IMO.

Edited by Abdul

Apparently the vadar seats are awful for track use, you slide everywhere, I agree they look good though!

On another note, the E36 M3 evo never produced 321bhp as everyone likes to state. They produced 321PS (German measure of power) which is the same as about 318bhp. Pedantic I know but it does get on my tits a bit every advert I see for an Evo saying that they have 321bhp!

I do love the E36 M3, I think they are getting to the point now where E30 sports where a few years ago, the pikeys have had their fun with them and can now afford the next newest model which leaves nice E36s to slowly appreciate, and be appreciated for the machine they are without every pike and his mum having one and ruining the image.

All Beemers rust like **** on the back arches...You wou'dve though they'd have learnt by now :)

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Hold out for E46 M3s to come down in price as it's a far superior car in every respect, imo...

^This^

E36's are gay.......The only use is to fit the S50 motor into an E30 :)

If you're gonna get an M, 3 series it has to be an E30 or E46..........Or Just buy a V8 M5........400bhp for £4K yes please :)

Thanks for the opnions guys. I'd sell the Corrado in a heartbeat for an E30 M3 but they are wildly different price points so that's not likely. This E36 is very cheap though. But I think I'll pass on it.

All Beemers rust like **** on the back arches...You wou'dve though they'd have learnt by now :)

You don't see many rusty 5 series, so it's not ALL Bimmers ;) My 96 Tourer (E34) doesn't have even the slightest amount of rust, anywhere. The 5 is their premium car and it's built a LOT better than the 3 series..... in all eras.

You don't see many rusty 5 series, so it's not ALL Bimmers ;) My 96 Tourer (E34) doesn't have even the slightest amount of rust, anywhere. The 5 is their premium car and it's built a LOT better than the 3 series..... in all eras.

Rear arches rust simply because owners leave enough soil up inside the lip to be able to grow vegetables!

Rear arches rust simply because owners leave enough soil up inside the lip to be able to grow vegetables!

I'd agree but nearly all E30's and E36 3 series have fubar'd rear arches.......

Thinking about Fishwicks comments, he's right I don't think I've ever seen a really rusty 5 series apart from an E28...It must be just the 3 series they can't build properly!

Yip....I've had 3 E30s, a saloon and 2 Tourers (I do love my old school bimmer tourers :D ) and the saloon was a rotter. The 2 tourers were lovely, not a shred of rust. Maybe it's just the estates BMW make properly? :lol: