swiftkid

Foam on headlining

Possibly a suppliers forum post but I'll try it in here anyway.

Does anyone know where I can get the foam attached to the top of the headlining, presumably to stop rattling. Mine has fallen off and become very flaky and naff so want to replace it so there are no rattles in the car. Would prefer to get proper strips rather than gluing small cut offs, I'm fussy like that you see!

thanks

i covered the whole inside face of my headliner with some fabric felt, stuck on with carpet adhesive. Its also worth looking at the cables that run along the topp edge of the roof line (aerial, for example) and to use some padding under these. Look at the clip that holds the aerial cable in place i the roof. This may need to be replaced. Also, stick some felt around this - perhaps 10cm x 10cm.

Otherwise, you could try an upholsterer - thay may have some offcuts you could trim to size.

Be fussy ;)

Nothing worse than tatty headlining seriously, not to mention how annoying it is when it's dangling in your face while you're driving! My sunroof lining is begining to come away and drops on my head from time to time, v-annoying...

There's a complete grey liner on ebay at the moment, will ship from the U.S

Ten Ton

My headlining is pretty mint to be fair, just had it professionally valeted seeing as everything else is getting replaced/cleaned after my respray and its come up amazing (literally cannot wait to drive it for the first time in about 8 months!!!). Its just the foam thats fallen to bits, when you remove the headlining its the stuff that sits above it.

Cheers fla, I'll take a look at this clip. If I remember correctly the aerial wire is still in place, I've used some vw looking tape to stick the wires in place neatly but there are a few clips I havn't used yet and not sure where they go. Do you mean you covered the full underside in felt?

yes - just in case there are some other rattles i've not pciked up on. Perhaps OTT, but rattles and squeeks are a bit of an obsession and i've got two major ones at the front (in the dash) i cant locate.

Haha, I'm hoping to be like that but I've been driving around in a stripped out old suzuki swift so rattles galore! Bugs the hell out of me but the rattles overpowered me so I've had to resort to turning the music up!

I'm hoping my corrado will be something special though so trying to sort out all the niggly problems like rattles, not sure I'll go with covering the full thing but may do bits that look like they will be in contact. Its mainly the thick foam I'm wanting to replace. Presumably VW will sell them as part of the headlining rather than a separate part, might just give them a call at lunch to make sure though.

I'd double check with VW.

Very tempted to do this myself actually, missus made me aware of a rattle above the rear seats headlining... Wish she hadn't told me now!

keep us posted.

Ten Ton

I'd double check with VW.

Very tempted to do this myself actually, missus made me aware of a rattle above the rear seats headlining... Wish she hadn't told me now!

keep us posted.

Ten Ton

this may very well be the aerial cable!

Swift - try an upholsterers. They may have some off-cuts you could slice up with a sharp knife and stick on.