Portent

How much is a good low mileage 24v worth?

There's no point to this thread really. I'm not intending to put a 24v into the Corrado and I'm certainly not looking to sell an engine. But I was just wondering how much the engine in my mk4 4mo is worth.

My 2003 4mo is probably not worth much. Maybe around 3k I guess. But it has a superb condition 24v engine with about 58k mileage, full VAG service history and known history (I bought the car from a dealer when it was only 6 months old where it was a demonstrator. so apart from VAG themselves I'm the only owner).

It occurred to me that the engine is probably the most valuable part in it. So hypothetically how much would such an engine sell for?

No point in answering then and hypothetically I haven't a clue. But then I've been on free red wine most of tonight.

A 2003 24v would be the BDE/BDF engine code in yours? If it is, then it's considerably more desirable than the earlier AUE engine.

As you say, even then it's only worth so much because it's not the much more sought after bigger brother, the R32.

There's some on ebay, starting at £200, rising to £800.

Personally speaking, I think you have some value there. What you seldom get with an engine package for conversion is everything. People always chop through looms because they can't be arsed to dismantle cars properly, or leave out critical parts.

IMO, if you were to sell your engine as a conversion and include the ECU, both engine looms, uncut, properly terminated with all the OE plugs, the clocks, all engine plastics, clips and ancilleries, you could ask £1200-£1500 for it. I know the engine installers like myself will baulk at that price, but believe me, I would happily pay extra for a package like that than a few hundred less for essentially a pile of scrap metal you can't do bugger all with.

indeed.. if you were paying someone to do the install for you it would also save a hell of a lot of hours.

i still dont think its at the point where it's worth breaking if you were to sell though - unlike Corrados..