Sign in to follow this  
Phil Diment

Big bore throttle bodies -opinions

:D

Just wondered if anyone out there has fitted one of these and if so what difference it makes? I'm looking for improved low down response from my VR6. Any downsides anyones found? and how do they work in isolation without any other mods? I'd like to keep the engine bay looking standard-ish

many thanks,

phil

We bore out the Throttle body's for the G40's and in the past i've done the old audi 80 sport big bore TB swap onto a 1.8 mk1 golf with good results. The main gains we get on the G40's is just bags of throttle responce, there is not a great hike in power, the car just feels a lot more drivable on the throttle. Trouble is this encourages you to drive the car like a arsehole balancing the car on the throttle with the back end out controling it on the loud pedal.

Those of us that are getting a Shrek VGI (not allowed to be called Schrick on this forum) and who have a dremel......well......guess what? Fancy making yourself an AmD big-bore TB whilst it's all in bits?

Do AMD rebore the throttle body and then replace the original diameter butterfly with a big one? or do they simply just port the throttlebody chambers and use the OE butterfly? Idea's spinning about ere :lol:

the 2.9 throttle body is already big enough. it's the head that needs the work, not the TB.

2.9 TB works well on a 2.8 VR6 though, especially with the 2.9 manifold too.

Do AMD rebore the throttle body and then replace the original diameter butterfly with a big one? or do they simply just port the throttlebody chambers and use the OE butterfly? Idea's spinning about ere :lol:

I'm not aware of a bigger butterfly they can use but I think they just bore it out and use the standard flap. As Phat says, the 2.9 TB is pretty much already taken out as far as it can go as standard. The one on the AmD's website is just a bored out 2.8 TB I think (narrower internals than 2.9 TB).....Stealth have already said there is no gain to be had fiddling with the 2.9 TB.

I was gonna say they are big buggers anyway. I was speaking to a chap last year who has a Golf VR6 5 door that has various odd and sods done to it, think it was 3.1 and running 276bhp normally aspirated if I remeber correctly. Sounded quite sick and went like a monster aswell.

276bhp NA! Would love to see the spec of that......from what I've heard/learnt, it's tough getting as much as 250 out of a NA 12V lump, so 276 is either optimistic or a damn good effort!

K

not if the compression was 13:1 and it was runing on 110 octane fuel with a solid lifter head!

hardly a daily driver......

8)

Hmmmm. If the existing throttle body is good enough; then maybe a Schrick is the way to go; just how do I convince her indoors to let me spend the dosh.....

Many thanks for all the replys guys. I think I'll be leaving the VR as standard for the moment; or until I can get the money together for a Schrick. Any chance of a test drive of your VR6 when its fitted Tom?

Cheers,

Phil

AMD gas-flowed throttlebody uses a larger butterfy.

They also replace the shaft seals.

It does make a noticeable difference - you use less throttle for the same effect.

The black VR6 has a Shrick, throttlebody and AMD remap. It made 215bhp@5600rpm and 207lbft@3600rpm at AMD on Saturday.

The torque figure was over 200lbft from 3300-5800rpm.

The original peak figure for this car was 191lbft at 4400rpm.

I'm going to enjoy beating up the TTs at work... :evil:

I flowed the 1 on my 16v.I also removed the spindles and ground loadsa metal off them so they are really skinny then counter sunk the screws that hold the flaps in. :shock:

not if the compression was 13:1 and it was runing on 110 octane fuel with a solid lifter head!

hardly a daily driver......

Think the guys name is Matt from club GTi Worcestershire.