carrots

a good 2k paint

hi i am looking at buying a good quality 2k basecoat and clearcoat for my alpine white corrado.ive looked on ebay at the clear and theres some realy cheap stuff on there.the max meyer stuff might be ok just not sure.can anyone point me in the right direction as i dont want it going dull in a few months.ppg d800 is very good but its trying to get the correct thinner and activator to go with it

you want a solvent basecoat and a 2k clear coat,

{base coat clear coat paint system}

the only time you would have a 2k colour is if its a single stage paint with no clear coat that gets buffed to a high sheen, your car will have basecoat clear coat not a single stage paint system, heres the kit ive been useing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280620898259?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 but you can order it in your paint code, check out my thread for pics,tbh thats not exactly that cheap if you compare it to dupont or ppg,also get a good quality mask! with filters rated for organic vapour 2k paint vapours will kill you!

my bumpers still got its gloss which is why iv used it on the rest of the car, dont know if adding to much thinners results in loss of gloss with clear?, which is why i dont thinn it, i just jack the pressure up abit, so may be thats why it lost its gloss?, heres a paint forum iv been useing for a few months, there realy good, any questions they normaly answer with in 10hrs, body shop pros aswell as diy'rs

might help with your original question,

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php?&sid=a6e776025ab38a51877721ef098c2b6d

cheers for that info,i think you are right about the thinners turning the clear dull.my mate puts cheap thinners in aswell so that cant help.i just want to get it right.been told sherwyn williams clear coat is good costs about £98 for 5ltrs of clear and 2.5 activator

I used a ready to spray acrylic clear coat, no thinning required, it might not be as hard wearing as 2K but it's a lot safer to use at home, gave a nice shine and is way easier to polish out imperfections than a rock hard 2K clear.

cheers for that info,i think you are right about the thinners turning the clear dull.my mate puts cheap thinners in aswell so that cant help.i just want to get it right.been told sherwyn williams clear coat is good costs about £98 for 5ltrs of clear and 2.5 activator

how much spraying are you doing? full car?, yea i know what you mean about getting it right, think the best thing is to post up on that forum about which 2k clear to use for what you want, i.e full respray? with a high gloss, there mainly american but theres a few english guys on there aswell which are very keen on answering any questions. but your question with brands might come down to mazda vs toyota, if you know what i mean? they all get the job done its just some prefer mazda and some prefer toyota

yer its going to be full car,i want the best shine i can get as its got a very good shine now for a white car.that sherwyn williams stuff is american so that site you said about could well be worth a try.i used to do bodywork years ago but 2k paint didnt get used that often it was all celly,which doesnt hold its shine very well.i am going to be spraying it at my mates bodyshop.

yea that sites realy good, like i said theres english guys there to, just put UK in the thread title if you make one, also americans have different names for things,

cellulose to them is lacquer paint, to us lacquer is the clear coat, so dont ask for a good quality lacquer! lol, also basecoat thinners or 2k thinners they call it "reducer" even though its thinners to us, just bare that in mind if you use the site.

are you sparaying it yourself? you mite be better with a paint supplier rather than ebay.autopaintsbrighton have a website they mite also be on ebay.

alot of it comes down to what make you like to spray.

mipa,ici nexa,standox,lechler all the base coats i have used have been fine id say ici nexa good coverage

2k clear i like u pol,hb body for the price, upol slightly easyer to work after

for the price of upol on ebay may be worth a shot i have used it for years and always got good results and stayed in great shape over time.

bumpers nexa thinned with mipa stabiliser then upol 20:80 sr super fast hardner

body nexa thinned with mipa stabiliser then hb body 496 sr-polar hardner

sprayed at around 20 degrees,air dry,stabiliser due to colour.

below is gun finish

DSC_0013.jpg

and flat and buffed finish

IMAG0109.jpg

SDC11035.jpg

Edited by tim20vt

hi tim , which upol clear do you use? have you used either s2081 or s2080? was thinking about getting some awhile back as i can get upol stuff at trade price..those pics look amazing btw!

it does look good tim.we used to sell upol in work before we stopped selling paint a lot of people didnt like it.cant see why tho with that shine.is that the same thats for sale on ebay