Critical_Mass

Tyre issues

Hi all,

May last year, for the MOT i had 2 new front tyres fitted as the old ones had worn and also had an "uneven surface" - i was told that instead of having a relatively flat tread face they had a dip in the middle of the tread. Didnt think too much of it as they were cheap tyres and were to be replaced anyway. I replaced them with a pair of Avon ZV3s (not my first choice).

The car has worn tie rod ends on it and a couple of weeks ago they were replaced and tracking checked. I was told again the front tyres have the same issue regarding the dip in the tread faceand are also worn - the tyres are less than a year old! So my questions are, could the worn tie rod ends cause this or could there be anything else wrong to cause this. The tyres need to be changed already as they are worn anyway.

Any ideas.

The worn inner tread is because of over-inflation. As for the general all over wear, then yep, any knackered suspension components accelerate wear.

What on earth pressures are you running in the front tyres?! :) I've only ever had wear on the outer edges running at 37psi (15" wheels), can't think of any other reason why the centre tread would wear than as Kev says. I'd have thought somewhere around 32 psi would be what you want on a 16" on the Corrado. Have 16's (205's) on the golf and they are recommended at 30psi on the car sticker.

36psi is the pressure shown on VR6 door sticker. I've found that's way too much with some squishy tyres like the Eagle F1 and Uniroyal Rainsport, even on 15s! Tyre rubber compound must have been like a hockey puck when the Corrado was launched!

Ive been running 32 on the fronts. The top mounts are a couple of years old. The whole tie rods and both ends have been replaced. Wishbones balls joitns are apparently fine as i asked for them to be checked. Wishbone bushes, one was replaced last MOT (same time as tyres) the other not as it was ok.

Just dont want to spend money on a good set of tyres for the same to happen to them

It's still over inflation at the end of the day. Either the tyres you've been using are more sensitive to it, or your guage isn't accurate. Either way, you'll need to reduce the pressure until it stops doing it :D

its going to depend on your preference, the tyres themselves, the ambient temp and your suspension, but a similar weight mk4 gti is 1.9 bar on 16's with a slightly deeper sidewall, so I'd try about 28 psi and up it gradually if it feels too soft.

Generally speaking, I'd say it was over inflation that caused your centre wear.

That said, low profile high performance tyres can suffer centre wear due to the lateral forces that occur in the tyre/wheel rotation.

In this case, reducing your pressures is not the way to go.

For your tyre size, I'd stick with the standard recommended pressures for the 205/50 R15 front and rear.