stevef182

New handle - only drivers CL is working??

Fitted a replacement passenger handle today, it opens the door (which is most important and why it was changed in the first place) but it wont activate the central locking via the passenger key.

Previously both locks would activate the central locking - now if i use the passenger side lock, it only unlocks that door.

Faulty connector? Would turning the key in the drivers side unlock the passenger door too if the connector was faulty?

Thanks

Does the drivers side lock and unlock the passenger side?

And when you say its a new handle do you mean brand new or second hand?

Does the drivers side lock and unlock the passenger side?

And when you say its a new handle do you mean brand new or second hand?

It's second hand, and yes the drivers side locks and unlocks the passenger side!?

maybe try fitting the pass door handle to the drivers side and see if it still plays up? did the passenger side handle lock the car before the swap?

By the sounds of it the wires in the handle are bust if they were working fine before.

If you unplug the connector (I hope that is connected at the moment, otherwise theres your problem!), you will see 3 wires going to it. I'm sorry this might sound a bit vague and confusing but I'll try my best... stick a wire/paperclip in one of the wire holes and bypass it into another one, what you are aiming to do here is lock/unlock the car. Basically one wire is the feed and the other 2 are lock/unlock. If if tries to lock then you know you have a problem with your handle and not the central locking system and can then check the wiring for breaks.

They tend to go manky at the join to the handle. Hope that helps!

maybe try fitting the pass door handle to the drivers side and see if it still plays up? did the passenger side handle lock the car before the swap?

Yes, previous passenger handle locked the car before the swap.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

By the sounds of it the wires in the handle are bust if they were working fine before.

If you unplug the connector (I hope that is connected at the moment, otherwise theres your problem!), you will see 3 wires going to it. I'm sorry this might sound a bit vague and confusing but I'll try my best... stick a wire/paperclip in one of the wire holes and bypass it into another one, what you are aiming to do here is lock/unlock the car. Basically one wire is the feed and the other 2 are lock/unlock. If if tries to lock then you know you have a problem with your handle and not the central locking system and can then check the wiring for breaks.

They tend to go manky at the join to the handle. Hope that helps!

Yes connector is plugged in! I'm guessing the wiring is the issue.

What im getting at though, is if the wiring is dead/broken/faulty, would the drivers side still lock the passenger side (which it does!)

Yes, those wires are signal wires to the central locking pump so if the wiring on one handle breaks, the other will still work. The actual central locking runs on air tubes, bloody daft idea if you ask me but hey ho it works... most of the time.

By the sounds of it the wiring on your new handle is broken or may just need some WD40. What I would do is either try what I said or plug your old door handle in and try it, if that works you know its a wiring problem with the new door handle. I'm guessing the striker has snapped off your old one? If so, just swap the striker over and refit your working door handle et voila!

It's worth making sure it's properly clipped into the door frame too, the garage buggered up the fitting of my first one and the first time I lowered the window it mangled the cable :bad-words:

If it's broken where the cable meets the handle you need a new one, there's no way to disassemble it that far...

Stone

Yes, those wires are signal wires to the central locking pump so if the wiring on one handle breaks, the other will still work. The actual central locking runs on air tubes, bloody daft idea if you ask me but hey ho it works... most of the time.

By the sounds of it the wiring on your new handle is broken or may just need some WD40. What I would do is either try what I said or plug your old door handle in and try it, if that works you know its a wiring problem with the new door handle. I'm guessing the striker has snapped off your old one? If so, just swap the striker over and refit your working door handle et voila!

Unfortunately it wasnt the striker that broke, as it happens the old handle already has one of daves16v repair kits.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Could be the micro-switch in the handle is bust, if so it's new handle time.

Yes perhaps, hope not as only got the handle last week.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Try the passenger handle on the drivers side. If it works then the handle is ok as is the micro chip in the handle itself.

If the above works then it will be a break in the wiring. I fixed mine a couple of weeks ago.

Check out this thread.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?60828-Central-locking-a-fix

Yeah I saw that, thanks. I will have a good look at the wiring again on the weekend

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

It's worth making sure it's properly clipped into the door frame too, the garage buggered up the fitting of my first one and the first time I lowered the window it mangled the cable :bad-words:

If it's broken where the cable meets the handle you need a new one, there's no way to disassemble it that far...

Stone

Will check but it wouldnt work from the second i plugged it in, so doubt the cable has been caught or anything similar.

To be fair the cable looks in v.good condition, especially by where it meets the handle so will check the wiring lower down. Thanks

Worth pointing out that I swapped over the locks from the old handle to the replacement - could this have somehow affected the CL?