Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

New engine mounts needed?

The car started kangarooing badly under acceleration yesterday, a quick squizz under the bonnet revealed that the air filter had become detatched from the main plastic hose that the MAF plugs into. I've got an ITG filter that's mounted to the body via the heatshield, so all that I can assume is that the engine flexed hard when I booted it a few seconds before and detatched itself from the filter. Would this indicate that my engine mounts are worn and in need of replacing/upgrading?

I can assume is that the engine flexed hard when I booted it a few seconds before and detatched itself from the filter. Would this indicate that my engine mounts are worn and in need of replacing/upgrading?

You can check this pretty easily.

Get someone to sit in the car while you look under the bonnet

Get them to engage first gear and hold their foot on the brake. Then bring the clutch up to it's biting point just for a second to "rock" the engine ( be careful though, dont let the clutch slip) Try it in reverse also.

You should be able to see if the engine is moving around on it's mounts. A little movement is normal but if it's pulling the airbox around then something is wrong.

I can get all kind of engine mounts at i work for a company in that field what you after....??? Give me a ruff size and how stiff you want them and i can see what i can do all parts will be brand new

I can get all kind of engine mounts at i work for a company in that field what you after....??? Give me a ruff size and how stiff you want them and i can see what i can do all parts will be brand new

I can send you some old VR6 ones as patterns if you like? I'm sure there could be good interest in this as I don't think the majority of members fully appreciate the differences a good mount can make :lol:

They're a bit like clutches. You know it's there but don't think about it, until it goes wrong.

K

kevhaywire,

Well if you sand me an old one i will see what i can do for you. I will send you the first one free if you give me a fiver postage. We make loads of different mounts we make alot of audi vw stuff. If the mount is good i can test it for you and try and keep the same frequencys to reduce the nosie but increase the stiffness. We make a lot of switching mounts to so with a flick of a switch you can change the stiffness. :D

Send us a e-mail at mailto:[email protected]

And i will give you my address to send the part to

PETER

Peter, I don't actually need any mounts at the moment but that's a very generous offer. I am willing to send the mounts over for the benefit of the other members though as I won't be using them again!

Yeah the switching mounts do sound very interesting.....do tell more!

Cheers

Kev

Audi use the switching mounts on the more expensive models like the A8 cars there normally always (ON) when driving but (OFF) when at a standstill i.e traffic etc. They use a Solenoid to change between the 2 properties. I refer to on and off as the power to the solenoid.

My address is

7 Pewsham Lock

Pewsham

Chippenham

Wiltshire

SN15 3GH

I own a 16v corrado would be greatful if you had one of these i could test too.

Can i still send you one to test on a car thou as I will need some one to say there good to go on a VR

Cheers :)

Hey guys,

anymore news on these mounts? I need a full set for my VR, this sounds v interesting and it's a choice of something o.e,something slightly stiffer or vibratechnics jobbies

Silverfox,

Just brought a 16v front mount. The base is completely different and not simple. Most of are mounts have flat tops and bases. So you could modifly one of ours to fit but would take some time to do this.

Peter,

If I send you a std g60 mount how much to rebuild it with a solid bush and how long would it take to turn around?

Tx

Rik.

Fit some Vibratechnics mounts..... And if your ITG filter is foam, I wouldn't be keeping that on the engine either.
#

Whats up with foam Kev? - my RAM AIR is foam....

Foam filters don't filter as fine as cotton or paper based ones (K&N or OE) and can let particles through which can speed up wear of engine internals... :?

Running one with a G60 supercharger WILL lead to a fairly rapid failure of the charger :| but it will also speed the wear of internal components on any engine with a foam filter...

Foam filters don't filter as fine as cotton or paper based ones (K&N or OE) and can let particles through which can speed up wear of engine internals... :?

Running one with a G60 supercharger WILL lead to a fairly rapid failure of the charger :| but it will also speed the wear of internal components on any engine with a foam filter...

Aye 8)

I think one of the reasons SuperCharged's Step-Lader is still in bloody good nick after 85K is because it's always been fed with air through a standard paper filter.

K

Well RAM AIR filters seem pretty refined and tested as rally cars use them in the desert...... :D

A K & N Induction kit is just too loud to be honest :oops:

rally car engines get rebuilt after each rally (or just plain junked!) so they don't really give a damn about the filtering that much 'cos they need the airflow more than the filtering capabilities, which foam filters can give...

Unless you fancy re-building your engine as often as a rally cars, I would recommend keeping away from Foam filters... Even Jabba put a clause in their warantee stating that if you're running a foam filter, your warantee is null and void! :?

Who said anything about K&N induction kits ?? I'm running a modded airbox with a K&N panel filter in there and it was nice and quiet, but with a hint of menace before I rebuilt my engine and put the toothed belt conversion on it... now it just sounds evil! ;) :twisted: :lol:

I can see that filtering the air more finely on a G60 is important due to being forced induction but I have a VR6. And the RAM AIR induction kit that gets cleaned once every six months and oiled properly.

The packaging that comes with RAM AIR states that it filters better than ANY paper based filter full stop and is tried and tested it says!

Combined with the fact I change the oil and filter on mine every 2500 miles means I really dont feel I have anything to worry about.

But if you feel that strongly about it then I best start looking for a paper one :wink:

:-P

Peter,

If I send you a std g60 mount how much to rebuild it with a solid bush and how long would it take to turn around?

Tx

Rik.

If you send me the mount i can see what i can do but with out seeing the mount i don't know. You cant really rebuilt mounts depending on how they built i can find you a similar stiffer mount but i really can't say till i see it. Could maybe use your base cup and weld it on will be trying to make a mount using me old 16v mount base and attaching it onto a new mount will post the developments.

Post to Peter Munns 7 Pewsham lock chippenham wiltshire sn15 3gh

The packaging that comes with RAM AIR states that it filters better than ANY paper based filter full stop and is tried and tested it says!

Marketing blurb.

I wouldn't even use a foam filter in a coffee perculator, let alone put it anywhere near an engine.