Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Couple of VR Qs

Yeah the 10mm and 8.5mm leads won't fit in the standard manifold cable tidies unless you bore them out.

The 8mm leads will go in fine. It's purely because the 8.5 and 10mm leads are their racing leads and have a harder wire which isn't as soft as the 8 and 7mm leads.

Not too fussed about lead sizes with the Shrek as the front 3 have to flop around anyway, but the 8mm ones were a good price (£3 pound more than the 7mm ones!). The 8.5 Racing ones are £111 :?

And here's a comparison between the iridium and OE plugs:-

Nothing major between the Magnecors and Blue Igniters Supercharged. The Magnecors have a very good reputation for strength and wire quality. The Blue Igniters are good but they feel a bit fragile at the plug end.

Just wanna get these Iridiums in and the best leads available and leave them there until I sell the car or rebuild the engine, which ever comes first!

K

The reason the iridium electrode is tiny is because it's 8 times harder than platinum and a heck of a lot harder still, than the OE electrode. Because of this, you can make the centre electrode tiny (0.6mm) which reduces the voltage required to jump the gap by approx 5000 volts, therefore reducing the load on the coilpack. Smaller electrodes in spark plugs are more efficient than large ones like the one on the left.

It's a common misconception that two ground electrodes = 2 sparks. You still get one spark but as fragments of the plug are burnt off during the combustion cycle, the centre electrode just takes the path of least resistance. Multi-ground plugs are purely for longer life.

There are no performance advantages from the plug but if it's giving more consistent and stronger sparks, the engine will run smoother and more efficiently as a result.....

K

Ok, ta. The twin electrode thing was the biggest question. I also wondered if the stock plug having the spark more "exposed" would be a benefit. The Iridium plug sparks within the electrode, the stock one sparks across the face of the plug.

Be interesting to see if you get your claimed 9bhp .. ;)

Dunno mate, I'll stick em in and see what happens! I know my old 16v ran better on single electrode plugs than the standard Bosch 3s.

9bhp? Who's claiming that? Doubt there will be any increase in power, got the Shrek for that, just more interested in longer service life and experimenting with them. I have a set of stock ones on standby incase they're pap!

K