Sign in to follow this  
raddo_g60

Strictly with regard to speed VR6 Vs G60...

More specifically, what is quicker GENERALLY (not bothered too much about 0-60, quarter mile times are good comparisons though) out of:

Standard VR6 Vs Standard G60

Standard VR6 Vs G60 with stage 4 charger, induction kit, exhaust - about 190-200bhp

VR with shrick and minor mods running about 220bhp Vs Fairly highly tuned G60 running about 220bhp as well.

I went out in a VR corrado the other day. Very nice power delivery. Lazy and effortless pull to the redline. But very progressive. I think the G60 would suit my driving style more. Just want to know what it quicker in the above situations. I think the VR is a better car out of the bag so to speak, but I know I would atleast mod the g60 to 200bhp. And probably wouldnt touch the VR as it costs a lot to extract little power out of them from what i can gather.

Opinions welcome. I know this is repeating an age old debate. Would like some fresh opinions as have read up on previous debates already.

I think you answered your own questions...

As for performance, with almost identical bodies/wind resistance, it'll come down to power/weight ratio. The VR is about 50kg heavier, that's it. Which is 4%.

Also what else is different about the two cars? How much more well does the G60 handle if at all? They are lighter but a friend told me the corrado was designed around the VR lump hence the VR handles better.

Read the above - the lighter is a myth. Well, strictly it's true, but 50kg is not the night-and-day that most people seem to suggest there is.

Standard VR is definitely quicker than standard G60, by a big margin, as I can testify - from a standing start and midrange......but when you start modding both, then the margins become some what narrower.

It's the same old story. ANY old car can be made to beat X Y or Z with the right amount of money and know-how.

I like both engines but prefer the VR6 overall as it feels stronger throughout the range (st v std) and is significantly smoother and quieter, attributes I value.

Don't forget the 20V boys.....a well specced up one will slaughter both G60 and VR6 (NA) but if it's a battle of power you're after, you've come to wrong forum quite frankly as we're above all that, at least, I like to think we are.

K

It is a battle of power im after though! Will all due respect. I love corrados and want to buy the one that Id be most happy with. id be a fool to pretend I didnt care about which would be best for speed given that the corrado is a performance orientated car. From what I ca make out this forum is well above pettyness to discuss properly which could be a better choice given their opinion. Thats all im after.

Cheers 8)

got to be the vr6.

the 30-70 times beat the older shape M5... now thats rapid... 8)

and you have to look at the cars std vs std, the the vr6 is better and faster. after £1k has been thrown at each im not sure?

different suspension geometry results in the handling differences as much as the weight. although weight in front of the front wheels does make a difference. 50kg may not seem a lot but its the same as a tank of fuel versus nearly empty. you can feel it ever so slightly.

both are good.

personally i dont see the corrado as a out n out fast car cos it aint. its more a good quick cruiser.

if you are after some class, nicelevels of comfort and a nice engine a c is a good car.

if you want pace in a point to point fashion go for a scooby or something like it. not got german build quality though(or panel costs)

yes i know some people have raced um and won but point to point 9/10 will be a jap victory esp if twisties are involved. and 300 hp is easily available with a full system, filter and a bar of boost via a bleed valve if you wanna be cheap.( equates to around £500 fro 80hp)

got to be the vr6.

the 30-70 times beat the older shape M5... now thats rapid... 8)

And the Schrick knocks a second off that time :lol:

K

Like dr_mat says - it really depends what you are looking for. The VR6's are newer than the G60's as the VR replaced the G60. Like you, I had a choice when I bought mine. Effortless smooth VR power or G60 tunability. I opted for a totally standard G60 & then spent approx 3.5k modifying it (including music system).

If you like the noise & sheer "eyeballs out" driving then I would (& did) go for a G60

I agree with Kev

It's the same old story. ANY old car can be made to beat X Y or Z with the right amount of money and know-how.

True, if money is no object. Turbo a VR6 or bang in a 20vT. Both are capable of around 400-500bhp.

opted for a totally standard G60 & then spent approx 3.5k modifying it (including music system).

3.5k would buy you some serious mods for the vr6 though... schrick vgi, cams, remap....no way a g60 would keep up with that is there??

It is a battle of power im after though! Will all due respect. I love corrados and want to buy the one that Id be most happy with. id be a fool to pretend I didnt care about which would be best for speed given that the corrado is a performance orientated car. From what I ca make out this forum is well above pettyness to discuss properly which could be a better choice given their opinion. Thats all im after.

Cheers 8)

If you want ultimate power, then only a VR6 turbo will do but be prepared to give one of your organs to medical science to pay for the conversion though!!

Actually, my mate has just taken the two turbos (one small, one HUGE) off his Supra in order to fit one dinner plate sized one, so....... I wonder if they'll fit on the VR :lol:

Anyway....G60 good for about 230 MAX, realistic non BS power in 1800 form but the VR and 20V engines can go double that and more with enough money.

Take your pic mate....

K

opted for a totally standard G60 & then spent approx 3.5k modifying it (including music system).

3.5k would buy you some serious mods for the vr6 though... schrick vgi, cams, remap....no way a g60 would keep up with that is there??

One reason why I didn't go down that road is because of the drive system. Front wheel drive is not my favourite & too much power just skins the front tyres in a very short time. My last set of Eagle F1's have lasted 7000 miles !!

If the Corrado was rear wheel drive then I would have got a VR & supercharged it. My driving style suits RWD cars much better.

This is good avice keep it up.

I think realistically, money wise, I cant afford the prices some people ask for VR6's to get a good one. Also fuel economy is an issue for me...I gather the VR drinks like a fish. VR turbo or 20 vt would be lovely but again id be kidding myself if I could afford this. One reaosn the VR does appeal to me is that didnt they all come with slightly nicer trim level and leather etc?

Hmm...I think its going to be a case of Ill buy whatever comes up that is good at the time I can afford one. i mean I cant really go wrong with either can I.

If money was no object then I don't think I'd be buying a Corrado, but that's a whole other thread...

Also - I suspect you'll find from previous threads that the G60 isn't exactly economical either..

Also - I suspect you'll find from previous threads that the G60 isn't exactly economical either..

G60 seems to use a lot of fuel when idling in traffic - having to drive the supercharger but not receiving any boost in return.

Indeed.. can't say its a frugal car.

Motorways its pretty good - hitting up to 38MPG if I do a steady 70MPH just breathing on the throttle when the hills get steep.. but around town it stinks - 23MPG at best.

didnt VR6's come with slightly nicer trim level and leather etc?

Nope - not all of them. Some G60's have leather interior & some VR's have fabric, althought all the VR's had the later interior.

Some of the late G60's came with the VR bodyshell too (like mine) - Later style bonnet & wider front wings, etc.

im getting 25-27 mpg average to a tank and i mainly do town driving with a motorway trip at the weekend.

if you want fuel effciency get a TDi im affraid.

im getting 25-27 mpg average to a tank and i mainly do town driving with a motorway trip at the weekend.

That's around the same as my G60

but around town it stinks - 23MPG at best

Ah, glad someone else has noticed this on the G60, as I was already beginning to wonder ... motorways is fine, well sort of, not really compared to my previous 1.0 litre Polo :oops: : did 550 km on 35 litres of petrol (approx. 44 mpg :shock: ) Xmas 2002

But I do thoroughly enjoy the G60 on the ohter hand :D

Tempest

As with all engines, economy depends on right foot weight :lol:

The only reason the VR can return good mpg figures is because of it's Vauxhall style mega long gearing, but 25-30mpg seems the average, which isn't too bad for an 80s engine just shy of 3.0 litres.

The worst G60 mpg I've seen is 12mpg from a seriously tuned one and the best average I've seen is 36mpg from a standard one.

My old 16V Turbo was my personal worst! 9mpg when giving it some big beans.....and that was calculated the old fashioned way :?

K