Sign in to follow this  
raddo_g60

Strictly with regard to speed VR6 Vs G60...

reliability is the key as always

personally i think the charger is the weak bit as it is having to do a crap load of boost to produce the power the jd did(or lots of timing when its cold and run it then.) Without going into the engine first and changing stuff you wont be able to generate power without boost

G60 block is quite easily strong enough for 300hp. TT stuff aint that much different.

blown engines are usually down to bad management and poor cooling. or letting off from high speed and melting it

you can t expect the std G60 intercooler to suffice for much if any over 200hp.

small turbos,good flow and chamber design and higher comression gives the 225 the torque. same as the imprezas were

a TD05 impreza is poor on the torque but can make the horses(itll hold for longer) the early engine has lower compression too a la G60

the later TD04 equiped impreza will onle make around 290hp on the standard turbo but out of the box response and torque is down to the higher compression and smaler turbine.

20mph in first doesnt cut it for me, neither does needing to shift into 3rd to hit 60mph.

VR6 1st gear is the same ratio as G60 1st gear... although the final drives are slightly different.... :?

A worked G60 with VR6 gearing would be a very stong, fast, quick car.

It's nice to hear that from someone I've never spoken to before... That's exactly what my car will have when I bolt it back together this weekend... 8)

All good info, sounds like some people round here know what they're talking about. (Unlike yours truly!)

But anyway, given the flame-bait original question in the thread (you must have known this one would open old wounds!), the answer is simple: it depends.

And more than that answer - buying a G60 or a VR6 is less of a decision based on performance than on what you want from the car. It's been discussed to death, so I won't repeat all the arguments.

So are we all finished now?

Why don't you attach the output from a Dyson to the inlet system?

Oh lordy....Matt's caught the "Haywire Friday nutter" disease.....

I have to now denounce my thrown and hand it over to you Matt....the King of peurile Friday afternoon nonsense :lol:

Why don't you attach the output from a Dyson to the inlet system?

Oh lordy....Matt's caught the "Haywire Friday nutter" disease.....

I have to now denounce my thrown and hand it over to you Matt....the King of peurile Friday afternoon nonsense :lol:

Oh God... here we go again... :roll: :lol:

Please tell me its over.

I mean, yeah, i'm from the G60 crowd now - but its pretty straightforward isnt it.

G60 = slower standard, cheaper to modify. More bang for buck, but at the risk of popping charger depending how crazy you get. A bit manic.

VR6 = quicker standard, more pricey to modify. Smoother power delivery, more refined drive.sounds much nicer too ;)

I liked the Dyson idea. :(

I mean, everyone says they have amazing suction! ;)

:mrgreen:

This includes stage 4 charger

How about an R1... :rambo: :D

Stage 4's aint that much different to standard. :?

Quote:

I should have said 230 MAX without using a cotton reel sized pulley, stage 8 charger, X flow head, blahdey blah....

246 is mighty impressive from an 1800.....would love to see how you got that much out of it and the dyno plots to go with it.

K

Well, check out my previous posts to see my dynoplots. Oh and BTW, I have an RS spec charger (one more than stage 4), standard PG 1.8 block, gas flowed and ported head (NOT CROSSFLOW), 65 mm pulley (which is still reasonably sensible), and no LSD (yet...,) :x

So think I'm doing ok thanks, :D

If crossflow head, 1.9 bottom end and forged pistons and other few mods could be looking at serious figures..., :lol:

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

Well, check out my previous posts to see my dynoplots. Oh and BTW, I have an RS spec charger (one more than stage 4), standard PG 1.8 block, gas flowed and ported head (NOT CROSSFLOW), 65 mm pulley (which is still reasonably sensible), and no LSD (yet...,) :x

So think I'm doing ok thanks, :D

If crossflow head, 1.9 bottom end and forged pistons and other few mods could be looking at serious figures..., :lol:

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

Fair play to you dude. I take it all back :lol:

I'm just jealous!

K

VR6 1st gear is the same ratio as G60 1st gear... although the final drives are slightly different.... :?

Really? You sure? I dont think the final drive would make a 20mph difference. I dont know, so im open to an education. you can hit 40mph in first with the VR6.

Ah, I just noticed that you're in the states...

The US spec cars had different gear ratios from the european ones 'cos of the 2.8 engine...

I have no idea what ratios you've got in the 2.8 VR6 boxes... Sorry... :oops:

Kev, are you refering to first gears or final drives?

Final drives here are 3:39 for the VR golf/Jetta (vento) and 3:65 for the SLC/VR6 (US/Canadian).

All the Golf people want the Corrado final, and all the Corrado people want the Golf final. The 3:39 final will allow a VR to hold gearing longer and also drop the revs lower in 5th (better fuel economy). So this makes sense with ure extra 12hp on us, as that makes up for the slightly slower acceleration.

Im still not sure on the idea that VR6 1st and 2nd is the same as G60. The final drive would not affect the gearing that much. 3:39 compared to the 3:65 only changes the mph per gear by 2-3mph (lower with 3:65). In another thread someone swaped VR 1 and 2 in and kept G60 3-5. Kinda proves what Im wondering about.

Euro gearbox'd VR6 and G60s shared the same 1st gear ratio... The second gear was totally different (hence why I spent £200 on a VR6 gearbox to strip just for the 1st and 2nd gears! you need both 'cos they're built onto the input shaft and can't be removed!). The final drives on the Euro VR and G60 box's was also slightly different, so I should be able to get just over 60 in second now, rather than about 45... Euro VR6's hit around 70 purely due to the different final drive ratio. 8)

As I said before, The US spec boxes were different again due to them being geared for the 2.8 VR6 and I have no idea what's in them either for final drive or for gear ratios... :?