Sign in to follow this  
HodgyVR6

Which Cams with the Shrek VSR?

Should I go for 264 or 268? Most of the golf boys seem to be going for 264, but would the 268 cams be better in the corrado's 2.9 lump?

There's quite a number of profiles to choose from in Shrek's range, anything from 248 to 276. The lower the number, the more bottom end / midrange you'll get. Higher numbers give more top end, sometimes at the expense of idle quality. The 268s are apparently the best cam to partner with the Shrek as you get the best of both worlds. Ask PhatVR6 as that's what he's got.

K

Not to bothered about the expense of the idle, surley can't get much worse than it is now! Just wondered if anybody new of a reason why the Golf boys were going for the 264's over the 268's?

Probably because 1 person liked the 264s and everybody else took it as read that that is the best profile.

It's up to you mate, go for a mild profile to retain good drivability or go for more aggressive profile to get more top end.....but ask pretty much anyone that run's cams and manifolds and you'll get '268' as an answer.

K

What degree is the standard 2.9 vr6 cam? Also I heard that 2.8 are different from 2.9 cams, and when I looked at them the 2.9 cams seemed to have a longer profile :?:

2.8 and 2.9 cams have different part numbers, but they have the same lift, don't know what the duration is though.

I had 268 cams in mine. well, I was told they were 268's, they are reground from factory cams. didn't affect idle or bottom end at all, but gave a notice able kick at 4000rpm when the manifold opens up to let them breathe.

you need falt section valve springs for 276's. I was going to go for these, but decided against it as according to vortex the fastes vr6's all run 268's and the 276's just push the power band slighty high up the rev range, which isn't what I want,

you may consider 256's or the 260/264 ones which are meant to be mint.

, they are reground from factory cams.

Yeah good point. Forgot to mention in my ramblings that Schrick are the only (AFAIK) company that grind their cams from new VW blanks. So in effect, you are getting brand new VW qulaity cams, unlike Kent and Piper who regrind the originals.

As I keep harping on - you get what you pay for.

K