dubweiser

cant get door handle off...almost there

Hi guys,just trying to fit door handle repair kit i bought off here and run into some problems.Ive got the doorcard off no problem and i have managed to loosen the door handle itself,but what the hell is stopping it from coming all the way off?It appearts to be the wiring for the central locking i think that is stopping it (tw wires,red and brown),but how on earth to i detach these from the handle so that i can remove it completely for repair.Any help appreciated guys.

Got my fingers crossed at the minute so it dont rain cos i got the door card half on half off and the door wide open

edit.

just had another look and it is the central locking wires.Ive disconnected the switch at the bottom but the wiring is clipped to the frame of the door inside.Dont know how to remove this clip as there doesnt seem to be any access to it

Edited by dubweiser

If I remember you can access the clip by prising off the plastic cover on the end of the door. You can also get to it from inside the door after you have removed the door card but it's tight.

hi dave,cheers mate.Ive been trying to get that bloody plastic cover off the end of the door for the last half hour but it wont budge.Ive got enough slack on the wiring now to remove the handle away from the door and see what the trouble is and sure enough the striker arm had bust so your replacement part should fix it.Im having a nightmare trying to get the pin out though,none of the screws will bite,ive tried a million other screws i have in the house and none of them work,ive managed to knock the pin slightly gently inwards so a little bit of it is showing out of the back but i cant get any access to be able to knock it back through.Im bloody P****d off now lol.Ive even tried slowly drilling with a small drill bit to no avail,it wont budge.My last hope is to try and go buy a tap set and hope that a tap will bite on it.

that wiring is for the heated door locks

to remove the wiring there is a plug located at the bottom of the door split the plug and then the wire is also clipped on the inner of the door, with a metal retaining clip just prise it off and you will get the handle easy...............

any probs give me a shout.

i had the same trouble trying to get that pin out with the screw, ended up giving in and not bothering to fit the repair kit.

will be trying again soon though

got the plug split in two at the bottom,it was the bllody clip half way up the door inside that i couldnt get off.Managed to just about get a screwdriver up inside and prise it away now,clip has broken one of the lugs off though but im not too worried about that.I now need to get the bloody pivot pin out.I just looked at the old bit what snapped in the handle and the new bit that dave sent me in the kit and they dont look remotely the same...am i missing something here?lol

If you can get access to the rear of the pin you can push it out with a bradawl (pointed instrument for marking holes in wood). This is the method I use and works 99% of the time.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

No you're not missing anything.

i give up.Been on since 11 o clock this morning and i cant get the pin out.Ive managed to gently knock it back as per instructions but there seems no way now i can get at it from behind to push it out the front as the wiring is in the way.This has turned out to be a nightmare

Edited by dubweiser

I used a small mole grip to hold the screw as I put it into the roll pin. That way it grips the screw more firmly and you can put more pressure on it as you turn the screw. I found that with a screwdriver the screw would slip.

well one final attempt and a leap of faith with a screwdriver and a hammer and its finally out! woohoo.What a feck on that was.Question for dave though as i mentioned earlier,the new part you gave me is completely different to the old bit that came off.I cant figure out how it fits on?Is the spring meant to now fit inside that angled slotted groove thats in the new piece?Or anyone that has fitted these kits could you point me in the right direction ,cheers guys

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

nevermind i got it sorted.Thanks for the help guys much appreciated and big thanks to dave for thre replacement kit.For anyone wanting to try this,i definately reccomend the kit from here,but please allow yourself plenty of time incase you have the f**k on i did with the bloody pivot pin lol.Cheers guys,no more dukes of hazzard style climbing through my window at the petrol station now ha ha

The broken piece that is still in the handle is only about 25% of the complete striker arm, the other 75% will be in the bottom of the door, that's probably why you were confused.

Yeah the pivot pin can be a pain but I have changed them where the pin has almost dropped out.

Glad you got it sorted in the end but as a last resort I do offer to repair them if posted to me.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Really? :scratch:

No, it's central locking wiring.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

No, it's central locking wiring.

i thought the central locking was vacum operated??????the big plastic orange air hose operates the central locking??

the wires the the handle are the same as the ones to the bonnet washer jets ...as in heated washer jets??

i honestly thought they were heated locks to stop from freezing??

It is air operated, there is a micro switch in the handle that tells the system you are unlocking the car. The air operation then unlocks all doors and tailgate.

So in a nutt-shell, remove the door card (im not sure how to get to that damn screw behind the speaker though)

Disconnect the wiring plug

Remove the plastic cover on the end of the door to get to the retaining clip, to free-up the door handle cable

Remove the handle screw (clockwise) thats on the end of the door

and the handle should pop out

am going to be attempting this today, if I've missed anything I hope some one will put me right :)

Yes that pretty much the process. Prise off the speaker grill at the bottom to get to the screw.

Not all door handle screws are left hand thread, I think most are so try it first off.

If your door cards have ever been off before (aftermarket speakers?) you may find some of the awkward screws have been left out when they reassembled it. Mine only have about half of them present and the door cards are still pretty solid :lol:

For the record, Dave is almost entirely right about the wiring - there is a microswitch in the handle fed out to the cable, but it only operates the hold-key-to-roll-up-windows feature. I cut the cable off one of my handles (idiot garage didn't clip it into the door properly and the first time I rolled down my window it mangled it!) and the central locking to both doors and tailgate still worked fine - the air is triggered totally mechanically. The only bit that stopped working was holding the key in to shut the sunroof etc.

Come to think of it I'd love to hold the key in the unlock position to open both windows and the sunroof, anyone modified theirs? Would be really neat once everything actually works!

Stone

Grim1' date=' Just wondering, how did you get on with the door handle repair?[/quote']

Went well and worked a treat. Thought it was going to be a bitch, the hardest part was getting the holding pin out from inside the handle itself.

Oh, and disconnecting the cable from the handle was also a pain, but other than that, fairly easy really.

I don't have a remote with the lock and unlock function so surely I can just cut the wire off that's connected to the door handle too? Struggled for about an hour this morning trying to figure out how to get the darn handle out. Also the rear of the handle (with out the lock barrel) won't come out the door either, how easy is it to remove this?

Don't take this the wrong way but you were moaning about previous owner's of your car not doing thing's correctly/bodging and here you are talking about bodging a job if it is going to get done do it right mate i know how frustrating it can be when you want to get thing's sorted but you are asking for help on the wkend with the first big vw show of the season i'm sure if you asked nxt wkend you would get more replies/help.

Don't take this the wrong way but you were moaning about previous owner's of your car not doing thing's correctly/bodging and here you are talking about bodging a job if it is going to get done do it right mate i know how frustrating it can be when you want to get thing's sorted but you are asking for help on the wkend with the first big vw show of the season i'm sure if you asked nxt wkend you would get more replies/help.

No offence taken mate. Trust me when I tell you I am in no rush to just start ripping things apart. I was just asking that if that is what the cable is for then in all honesty it serves no purpose to me. Is it show season already???!!! I am waaaaay out of touch with this lol. I will wait till a better reply comes along any how as I can't do nothing until next week-end any how.