Critical_Mass

Audi A2 viewing

Hi all,

Need some advice on an Audi A2. Off to view one over the weekend for my girlfriends sister. Just wondering if there's any common problems with them, areas to look for - obviously rust shouldnt be a problem. Also as you're unable to open the bonnet, how can you check the engine bay for oil leaks, water leaks etc. I believe the bonnet is bolted down - so to get to the engine that would have to come off - i guess there's no other way.

Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Cheers

Gaz

omg ive not heard that about the bonnet,how stupid is that.is it a private sale

No either had i until i a google search on the cars. saying that reading more now there IS a bonnet that you can lift - held down by some clips, but they have a service hatch at the front for topping liquids up.

yes private sale.

Common problems;

- Anti Roll Bar Links

- Anti Roll Bars

- Top mounts

- Fuel Pumps

- Rear shock bump stops perishing

- EGR problems on FSi and TDi engines

- Make sure all trim is intact as expensive to replace

- Convenience Control Units

- Check clutch for bite, should be near the top of the pedal. Most are driven/owned by incapable middle-class women so they are nearly always fooked.

- Air Con pumps known to fail so check operation

- Check the open sky roof if it's got it.

You can get the bonnet off by twisting the two caps on the inspection flap.

yer ive googled it aswell theres a switch inside i read that moves the audi badge so that you can check fluids.bet someone will bring a tool out soon to open the bonnet

I had a brief look into these a while ago. We like them a lot. The mrs was adamant she wanted one, but the more I looked into it, the more I found out it was never built to be maintained by the "home enthusiast". From what I read, they're to be worked on from underneath, and as such, Oil and water is about as much as Audi would like you to maintain.

I believe parts can also be an issue. A lot of model specific parts and mostly OE only from what I read.

She'd really like one, but seeing as I'd have to maintain it, I'm not too keen.

That doesn't mean we won't get one in the future. Just weighing it up for the moment.

Cheers guys. Its starting to sound an expensive car to keep due to cost of Audi parts and working on the car will be a ball ache. imo i think she'd be better off with a little lupo - it will be her first car too btw.

I wouldn't recommend one to be honest. People who think 70+mpg is the be all and end all of a car swear by them and they do have a loyal following...

...BUT. They drive horribly, the diesels are noisy, the 1.6FSi temperamental, odd driving position that is tiring on a long journey and inconvient in town traffic. You get my drift, driving a tunnel does sum it up pretty nicely! Years ago when Audi still made them they were the 'course cars' so I've driven loads and personally wouldn't invest my money in any small product in the VW Group around that time with maybe the exception of the Ibiza.

My mate has the new shape ibiza and my parents have the previous shape ibiza. Both pretty good cars.

I'll pass that info on Pat, thanks. At the end of the day its her money and her choice. But and i'll try say this without being sexist, just stating fact, she doesnt know much about cars other than the colour and the looks.

Cheers for the info.

Ironic you mention an Ibiza, as that's what the mrs drives at the moment. It's brisk (1.4), easy to work on, outrageously reliable and parts are easy on the pocket. I keep telling her she's mad to chop in for an A2, but some people don't think logically sometimes.

Mum's got a Lupo. (1.4). Reliable and solid, but always seems lethargic. The boot is tiny.

Ibiza all day for me. Very easy to drive.

My mrs has had an new shape arosa tdi for a few months now. Well impressed with it . Much bigger inside than they look!

£30 tax a year too!!