Serial

VR6 runs much better with MAF unplugged

Ok so I've been having some pinking problems with my VR6 recently - but lately the whole car has been running really rough, not idling properly and really down on power. I've done an ECU reset, I unplugged the MAF whilst running - the engine died. Restarted the car and it's running way better - idling pretty steadily and feeling a lot smoother. Still pinks quite a bit under hard acceleration, however.

Any thoughts if it's time for a new MAF?

I'm not an electrical expert but I recall being told that the MAF and Lambda share a fault code under the OBD1 standard and are closely linked in terms of fueling control, you might want to look at the Lambda probe leads too, since they crack under the heat.

Pulling the lead off will generate a fault code, so ideally you want to clear your fault codes down and then run the car, and then check the fault codes again...

also, when I replaced my MAF with a new OEM unit a few years back, GSF had them and they were approx half the price of a modern car's equivilent. Approx £100 instead of nearer £200.

MAF obviously sends the signal to the ECU with how much/how dense the air is for fueling. With the MAF unplugged, the ECU will revert to a base MAP. If your car runs better with it unplugged, that is indicative of a duff MAF I'm afraid! As said though, PX with your old unit at GSF/ECP are about £100.

Thanks for the replies - I bought a new pattern part MAF from eurocarparts for £80 (including a 25% discount) and fitted it this evening - running way better now!