d3927

Steering rack adjustment

I have got play in the rack! according to the maintenance manual there is an adjustment procedure, when stationary and engine off you turn the wheel left to right and there is a knocking noise (play) the adjustment procedure seems to say that it will take up this play ? does anyone know if it works???????

sorry i have the vr6, will this preload adjustment help the problem, i have made a tool, is it difficult to turn the adjustment nut ?

There is usaually a lock nut on the adjuster to undo.

It may take out centre area play but the ends of the rack will cause stiffer steering as they won't be worn.

yes i have replaced ball joints, track rod ends, drop links, and anti roll bar bushes i have checked the column and seems ok as best i can tell, i am going to have a go at adjusting tommorrow fingers crossed ! feels so nice now, just that anoying play.

inner track rod joints? (i.e full replacement track rod) these really affect steering but are rarely changed as they are out of sight.

sorry i have the vr6, will this preload adjustment help the problem, i have made a tool, is it difficult to turn the adjustment nut ?

There is a VW bulletin on adjusting the rack. It might be in the VR6 steering thread, but basically, you jack it up off the ground at the front, turn the steering left to right and if it clunks, keep winding the adjuster in until it stops, and that's it! Nothing too technical or scientific :D

I've experimented with a spare rack off the car and it literally only needs 1/4 turn, max, to remove any slack, so go easy! You will know when you've over done it because the self centering will feel a lot weaker.

What is the actual problem then? As the other guys have said, worn inner ball joints are a favourite for sloppy steering.

ok, can these be done with the rack in situ ? i see they screw out.

I've done them on a car with the subframe just lowered a bit (so not having to disconnect the hydraulics) to get access with a spanner, that's the problem, they have flats on the sides of the inner joint so you need a big-arse spanner on them, and there's not enough room to swing one. IIRC the original ones were pretty tight after 15 years or so.

Not sure if VW did a special tool for removing them.

Also the inners should be threadlocked, so between that and the big spanner and lack of space it's a bit of a battle. Also have no clue whether there is a special tool available.

I have no experience of 6cyl aka waffly versatile racks.

Not sure if VW did a special tool for removing them.

Inner Track Rod Ball Joint

There are "special tools" for the trackrod inner ball joints. Need VAG1332 + VAG1332/6 or similar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52729[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52733[/ATTACH]

Rack done off the car.

Rack Adjuster

The tool specified for RHDrive "TRW" Steering Rack and LHDrive "ZF" Steering Rack use is a VW524 special tool.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52737[/ATTACH]

Rack Adjuster adjustment is same for both TRW & ZF type racks as Kevin has already written.

Edited by RW1

Had the car up on stands yesterday, and the tool i made requires modification to work around the pipes! checked the inner joints and appeared to be ok, will hopefully get tool sorted today and try again.

Does anyone have a pic of the adjustment nut on the rack, I can't seem to find it?

Its a recessed hexagon in a circle, under where its joins the column.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Its a recessed hexagon in a circle, under where its joins the column.

Cheers! I'll have another look.

Think i might try this on mine. Feels loose and clunks. Has done about 230000miles now. Is it possible to do it without removing the rack?