Abdul

VR6 sump guard

Hi guys, anyone have a sump guard or had one made up?

My alloy sump (24v) is already leaking a little and I don't want to fit another untill I've sorted some sort of protection for it.

I know the r32 sumps are shallower but are still alloy and prone to shattering when running low. Only alternative I currently have is a 12v steel sump but they hold about 1/2 litre less oil iirc and I'm not sure I want to risk it to be honest.

Cheers

Abdul

doesnt help you, but i've held on to my auto sump guard for just this reason although i dont thunk i'll be going much lower than i am now. Perhaps if someone has broken an auto VR you could get their sump guard? Not sure about fitment yet, but it shouldnt be a problem, i wouldnt have thought.

Have you got any pics of it H?

How come the auto's only came with sumo guards? That's not fair!!!

Oh and is it steel or alloy?

I'll dig it out and get you a pic. Its a heavy bit of steel plate, curved at the front, more to protect the front of the absolutely huge gearbox i think, rather than the oil sump.

The R32 sump sits slightly above the subframe mate, so it shouldn't hit. It sits higher than the standard steel sump in fact. And they don't shatter as easily as some people think.

I don't understand this though, why are some 24Vs sitting so much lower than others? Are people cutting down engine mounts or something? Mine has acres of ground clearance! :D

You'd be surprised at how much an old set of standard engine mounts will let a VR6 sag in the bay. I've seen a couple of Mk3's & Corrado VR's with the sump sitting a good inch+ below the subframe yet with some new uprated engine mounts and so very small, thin spaces I've got mine to sit mm's above the subframe without the manifold touching the bonnet.

This will also allow you to get the sump guard as clear of the ground as possible as this will then be the next thing that hits constantly.

I know MasonTech did a batch of VR6 based sump guards but obviously they are/were a US company so were a little difficult to get over here.

Cheers StueyB

Ive literally got no space for spacers as the engine cover only just clears the bonnet which has me thinking maybe the mounts were shortened to get it in to begin with...

How do i check the condition of the mounts?

Kev, i disagree, my mk4 went through 2 sumps in 2-3 months.

I'll probably go with a 12v sump as its steel so should take a bit of a battering lol. The r32 sump is an option but parts alone are 2-3x as much so no thanks lol.

How? Why?

I've NEVER had an issue with an ally or a steel sump!

its because were old mate and haven't dropped the car into the weeds

Kev, my mk4 was pretty damn low but the corrados not even low lol.

The sump sits about an inch lower then my 50mm splitter as it is ATM and I have mahoosive arch gap on 17s lol.

As Kev said, the sump should be well clear of being hit. Is the 12v block taller causing the sump to be closer to the ground??

There were some sump guards made up by a guy on ebay a while back. Ill try to see if I still have his contact details.

---------- Post added at 3:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:14 PM ----------

sorry, must have deleted it. cant find his email anymore

---------- Post added at 3:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:16 PM ----------

nope, I lie his user name on ebay is/was asw75r and he advertised he was advertising [h=2]#140360651140, ending on 24-Nov-09 18:21:00 GMT - VW sump guard VR6/mk2/mk3/corrado etc‏[/h]

Thanks for that Sam. Will contact him.

Here's a pic of how my sump sits.. admittedly the cam was angled and so it exaggerates the sumps clearance. It's not actually an inch lower then the 50mm splitter, more like 15mm.

df5cfa78.jpg

Cheers guys.

Something defo not right there. I used to have a 2.8 24V sump on my 12V and it was nowhere near that low!

The 2.8 24V block has exactly the same bore, stroke and engine mount bracket locations as an AAA 12V engine, so the only way the sump can sit that low is if the engine has physically been dropped down. And most people cut the engine mounts down which is an utter, utter bodge and I despair of people who do such stupid things to cars.

Kev that pic exaggerates the problem a little as it was taken at an angle.

The mounts may have been cut, I'll take a look next week when I get it on some ramps and confirm. The inlet/engine cover only just clears the bonnet so that would explain why it it may have been done...

Yep.

I was going to pm you later to ask about yours!

I reckon the mounts were indeed chopped then.. Lovely lol.

You had yours quite low on the lm's, did you have any troubles?

Cheers

I have a vague recollection of someone saying PSI chop the mounts to get the engine sitting level, even though they are not supposed to sit level (side to side). So this would drop the whole engine down a bit. I used factory rear mounts and my own front mount at standard height. Without the engine cover on (later style cover) it would clear the bonnet. I removed one of the supports under the bonnet to allow fitment of the OEM larger later style cover.

Jay

Check my thread in my sig, there is a photo of the sump in there. I fitted some springs and dampers so I was only down 40mm so never had any issue but it was always on my mind. Come to think of it when I went to get the gemeni box fitted Vince did say that they engine was tilted slighty towards the rear mount.

I'll have to inspect the mounts when I get the car in the air. I didn't realise the 24v's sit wonky like the 12v's, mine doesn't so Jay your probably right. Do you have a pic of the support you had to remove? I prefer he cover you had...

Graham I'll take a look when I get on the lappy.. :)

Maybe the engine was tilted towards the rear so the downpipe would clear?

Cheers guys :)

Car makers put much thought into engine positioning and mountings. Torque reaction, gyro effects, inner CV running angles, diff bearing stresses etc etc. The engine won't drop out or anything, but some of VW's good work is undone!