8vMatt

Brand New 24v Baffled Sump from the group buy, fits VR6.

Hi guys,

I bought this from the group buy recently. Never fitted and undamaged. It looks like I don't need to keep it anymore as an engine I'm going for has a protected steel plate sump.

I saw there were a few asking the group buy if anymore could be found after they all sold out. So if there are no takers then I can go back and them if they would still be after one.

To fit the sump, you need paste which is £15 from TPS. I will supply a tube I bought for the sump.

I'll take a pic or two tomorrow if needed.

I'm after £90 ono posted which would cover my outlay on the sump and paste. It will be sent in a well padded strong box.

Cheers all.

Hey Chris,

Yep as stated, the oil won't surge to one end or the other when hard cornering. There are two shaped walls inside the sump. Another good plus point to the sump- its Alu. Lighter and dissipates heat quicker, acts as an oil cooler.

Ay up Matt!

I like the sound of it but as im ploughing money into it like mad right now ill have to let yours go elsewhere.

Cheers though, C

Glad you got an answer Chris, cus I would be scratching my head not knowing the answer for you bud.

Hi Matt,#

Do I need to change to oil pump too?

you do need an r32 oil pump mate, the standard vr one is to long and you wont be able to fit the sump for that reason. here is a pic of the pump that i had fitted when i had my r32 sump fitted, you can see what i'm on about.

2011-10-16113120.jpg

Edited by KADVR6

Is that the case Karl? I thought these were the 2.8 24v sumps that aren't as shallow as the R32 ones. So wouldn't need to have the R pump as well?

The 2.8 24v sump woks just fine with the vr6 pump. It's not shallower but the bottom profile seems flatter. Has a larger capacity about 1/2 litre. And I now seem to be running slightly cooler.

I would recommend longer bolts as the alloy is much thicker than the old steel sump. And, if changing the bolts, you can use the old style rubber gasket.

I found the original gb and it seems that the std vr pump will fit. Science, where did you source the new bolts mate? Oem 24v bolts?

Cheers guys

Just to clear up some confusion. 2.8 24V is essentially just an ally version of the steel 12V sump. It's not baffled. It just has 3 cast-in vanes to help direct oil to the pump pickup.

3.2 24V is both a lot shallower and baffled (plastic inserts which stop the oil flowing away from the pump head). And because the 3.2 is shallower, the pump pick up had to be redesigned, as Karl said. The actual pumpy bit is the same on all the V engines. VW won't sell you just the pick up though! Gits.

Capacities:

2.8 - 6 litres

3.2 - 5.7 litres

No gasket, just a reasonable layer of the sump sealant VW use. It's basically posh bathroom sealant, but it does actually work. Bathroom sealant doesn't!

Bolts, just use what ever the 2.8 24V uses. The only difference is 12V used a hex head and 24Vs use either an allen head or a torx head. The bolt thread length and pitch are identical on all V engines.

its just i've taken my standard sump off recently and have a mix of bolts, the hex and the allen keys, and the hex ones are longer

---------- Post added at 4:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:25 PM ----------

was a thread on CCGB talking about later corrados using a thicker gasket and shorter bolts

Doesn't really matter tbh. I used 24V bolts on my 12V when using the 2.8 sump because the flange is slightly thicker than the the steel one, but only a few mm.

This is an R32 sump and pump. Even the output tube is different! Where it bolts to the block it has an O ring. 12V and 24V doesn't.

Img_0038.jpg

I found the original gb and it seems that the std vr pump will fit. Science, where did you source the new bolts mate? Oem 24v bolts?

Cheers guys

The bolts I used (with the original 3mm VR6 sump gasket) where;

Socket Cap Screws A2 Stainless Steel M6 x 20mm

with

Shake proof washers.

Sourced from;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/socket-cap-screws-a2-stainless-steel-m6-x-20mm-pack-of-50/19472

and

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/bolts/washers/Shake-Proof-Internal-Washer-AVF-860652-Pack-Of-25-W-M6-9708789

This is an R32 sump and pump. Even the output tube is different! Where it bolts to the block it has an O ring. 12V and 24V doesn't.

Img_0038.jpg

Kev am i right in thinking you need the R32 Dipstick? and to cut a hole in the plastic winch to get it to fit in your opinon is it a worth while mod??