carrots

roof trims

hi i am painting my car in next couple of months,how hard is it to remove the roof trims,do they fit back on ok.i dont want to damage them.cheers

Just peel upwards from the front. They're a tight fit and there's a length of double-sided tape sticking them down - if it's anything like mine it'll be long-dead! Make sure you get all the sticky stuff off before painting, and don't pull on the plastic hinge covers at the tailgate end, you'll break them. I couldn't get the trim to sit properly when I put it back though, it's so annoying I'm getting the roof smoothed during the respray ;)

Stone

peel from the back and carefully slide the front of the trim forwards - it sits in a horizontal "i" slot, if that makes sense.

do they come off nice tho i done want them bent when i refit um.i just hope i am lucky and can get away with not painting the roof then i wont have to touch um

It depends on how good or bad their condition is. I bought some from VAG last year so they were still available then if you fancy new ones to be sure (makes the car look much smarter). Or Veedubmachine still seem to sell them.

But the caps over the hatch hinges are obsolete now and do break if you try to get them off.

The trims dont bend at all and will easily be reusable, the only downside is that the champher on the inside of the trim that touches the roof itself is quite thin so tends to crack and fall off. They look a bit naff when this happens so good to renew if funds allow. Or just trim off this bit thats crcked makes it look much better.

remove from rear then pull upwards along the whole length of it until near the front then it pulls bac towards the rear of the car to un-clip it from the front peg :)

What's the correct method to get the back on again? I still haven't figured it out :shrug:

The way I've been doing it the front peg doesn't clip on properly so the pointy bit sticks out.

yep clip firmly into front peg fit rear section onto serated post so its attached at both ends, then work it on evenly from each side! i always find it easier when the weathers warmer too and the car body is warm as well as the trims themselves.

done several sets on of and on off again in the last few years so very pleased with this method :)

remove from rear then pull upwards along the whole length of it until near the front then it pulls bac towards the rear of the car to un-clip it from the front peg :)

Agree. This technique works great :)

Previous owner somehow managed to unhook front peg in my car and instead of refitting it properly he glued front of trim to the car! ehh. But did what Kip suggested and whoila.. all nicely fitted as should be (minus horrible glue!)