Kempy

cleaning really dirty split wheels.. help

I got some grubby inner barrels on my splits. Has anyone got a suggestion on how I'd clean this? I didnt make them this bad this is how I bought them :(

DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0329.JPG

They will probably get painted but I'd like them as clean as possible first, is this something DIY'able

thanks

Ive tried nitromoors today but not very effective, its pretty tough to remove.

I've found that valet pro bilberry and meguiars wheel brightener are pretty decent but I'm not sure if you can buy them in anything less than 5ltr bottles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if nitromoors aint touching it then just go and get them vapour blasted, and then powder coated or a diy paint job with some hammerite.

I doubt any megs will work if nitromors failed. anyone used caustic soda? someone on ed38 said this

I doubt any megs will work if nitromors failed. anyone used caustic soda? someone on ed38 said this

caustic soda will work, BUT it could actually eat the alloy depending on the grade of alloy used, if you dont wanna go down the shot/vapour blasting then get a 240 grade flap wheel and use a corded drill, this will shift it all but could look ****e afterwards, and for £20 a wheel to get them powdercoated i would not even bat an eye lid and just get it done properly.

I can get them shot blasted in my dads work but i'd say it would pit the ally, whats vapour blasting?

ideally you wanna use walnuts, beads are fine depending on whats being used. shot will prob be too heavy, but not the end of the world if its the inside of the barrel..

caustic soda will work, BUT it could actually eat the alloy depending on the grade of alloy used

If it works at all it will be because it's eating the alloy, surely? If it didn't then it wouldn't be able to clean the corroded top layer.

Another coat for blasting and powdercoating here, easy and cheap with known good results. Or you could go for a combo, my wheels are black powdercoat with silver paint over the top and a clear powdercoat over the top of that, they look the mutt's nuts :)

corrado-ultraleggeras.jpg

Stone

got it way cleaner but its massively pitted it turns out so I'll just send it over to the powdercoaters to prep and finish