Lee Rees

Got my VR6, idle and rear brakes

Hi Guys,

I've got my first ever rado, a '93 vr6 2.9, she's a beauty.

It has a few problems and I was hoping you could show me some links to absolute beginners diy guides for the following probs.

ABS light on: a whoosh whoosh sound coming from rear wheel too, going to check to see if pads later on, if it's a wheel bearing would it be a continoues grind as opposed to a whoos whoosh noise?

Crap idling until warm: I've read that this may have something to do with the MAF, how can I diagnose this, newbie guide? I did notice fuse 10 engine electronics had blown so I've replaced that.

occasional bucking above 2000rpm when hot: very occasional bucking, like a misfire but with no bang sound, could this all be related to the maf.

Left passenger window broken: Again seeking a newbie guide for diagnosing and repair.

I don't really know anything about cars if I'm honest, but I'm here to learn, hopefully I can get to a stage of maintaining my rado myself.

Helloo, welcome to rado ownership!

ABS light - get it on vagcom and it will tell you whats wrong. Rear bearing should be a constant whiring noise, what your describing sounds almost like a warped disc but just check out the pads first and condition of the disc.

Idle - try cleaning out your ISV and maybe even look at changing the blue temp sender (its the one in the thermostat housing). A simple check to see if its MAF related would be to unplug it whilst its running, if the engine note changes then its doing its job if it stays the same then you may have a problem with it but I would have thought VAGCOM would pick that up anyway. And if you do scan and it comes up with lambda, chances are its still MAF related, lambda rarely break unless there is a problem with the plug wiring or the sensor itself is bust. Could even be your HT leads are not on properly or your coilpack is arking.

Bucking - possibly MAF related but maybe give it a service, could be spark plug related.

Window - whats wrong with it would be a starter to help diagnose! does it not work at all? does neither switch work? tried the fuses?

Theres tonnes of useful information on here, just have to search for it and the likelihood is somebody else has had the same problem.

Oh and get some pictures up!

had it up on a jack and the disc feels a little tight in one spot, also there is no play in the wheel so guess that mean it's not the bearings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55065[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55069[/ATTACH]

Window just doesn't work at all, when i press the button i hear a slight electrical hum coming from rear of car, weird.

Sorry to be lazy but can someone point me to a guide for cleaning the ISV and MAF.

I don't have VAGCOM yet, going to see what socket mine is and then order the cable from ebay.

I'm going to record a video of the whoosing sound tommorow and post it up.

No pictures as yet, we need to do some spraying on the rust first. Me and my mate are sharing the car, he is a professional photographer so once it's all fixed up he's going to take some awesome pictures. However you can see it in it's current state here: http://pistonheads.com/sales/3685776.htm

Edited by Lee Rees

White corrado's do look very nice, just needs a bit of a tidy up on the outside! take a look on the inside edge of your rear tyres, when I was running speedlines and my car that low the tyre was very close to the coilover so if you have the slightest buckle in your wheel it may cause it to whir.

I'm afraid I'm no good with electrical stuff so you'll have to do a bit of a search with that one. As daft as it sounds, have you checked your fuse? Mine used to pop all the time randomly.

If you are going ebay cable for a vr6 obd1 and 2 cables are the same, then you can use vcds-lite (free download off ross tech website) to scan it.

Oh and clean out the ISV with some carb cleaner, MAF is delicate, think I used some electrical contact cleaner or something but again maybe worth doing a quick search to see whats needed as you have the earlier expensive type MAF

Edited by swiftkid

Hi Guys,

here is a video of the sound the rear drivers side wheel is making.

[video=youtube_share;EklfwYaqbcw]

Hi guys,

I've decided to take this into a garage and get them to fix the brakes, I've brought new pads, discs and bearings and will just let the professionals take care of this one.

With regards to the ISV, I did try to get to it but came unstuck as you need a star alan key, will have to buy a set, what size does it need?

OK Guys just an update, I brought a tool kit and some carb cleaner, took the ISV off, gave it a clean (wasn't really that dirty) put it back on and the problem has gone away.

don't want to jinx it but it looks like it's been a success!

well done for doing that. Make sure you lube the isv slightly before refitting as you may find it will start to bind slightly as the engine warms up.