Jim Bowen

Advice on Engine support while removing subframe, pics.

Getting ready to drop my subframe and bought this engine support beam, just wanna check with people on here that it looks ok before i undo any bolts.

My main concern is the weight of everything bearing on the inner wings, are they strong enough?

2012-03-14123927.jpg

2012-03-14123915.jpg

2012-03-14123903.jpg

i have the same beam and yes dont worry the wings are more than strong enough. Used it to do the auto-manual conversion and it was also useful in lining up the block.

thought it should be ok, just didn't know if the outer wing helped with the strength, as bentley manual pic shows the wings still on car

things just look a lot more secure when the outer wings are in place, I'm sure nothing will move with the weight of the engine on it, but the feet just look a litlte precarious to me.

it feels quite solid, if i try and rock the red bar back & forth, the engine moves up and down.

i was just worried the wing would bend as all the weight will be on that skin of metal

I would be a bit worried about stability with both outer wings and the slam panel off. If the inner wings buckle in or out, the feet of the beam will slip off and then you are in trouble. How about temporarily putting the slam panel back in place to brace the structure up a bit more??

Actually looking again, the material for where the brace sits on doesnt have the support from the outer wing. This could cause problems. Can you put the wings back on to help give structural stability and also help stop it from falling off the edge if it were to move.

or just get an engine hoist.

you two above, that's what I was thinking, I wouldn't wan't to spend any time underneath that lump, that's for sure.

You could remove the engine if you have access to an engine crane.

Or maybe stack some wood enough to take some of the weight, or you could just throw the wings in place to make sure there is no movement sideways, would be a bit of a mess if the engine slipped off the wings

damn, i'm worried about this :lol:

I could temp put the wings back on, shouldn't be too hard.

My problem is, i can't use a crane to hold engine and shut the gargage, the beam is going to need to be there while steering rack/subframe etc all get refurbed.

i could support the engine underneath as well, but wonder if it will interfere with removing the subframe from below.

I also thought about sticking some extra supports from the bar to the area where battery and airbox sit.

If I were you I would put the wings back on, just stick them in place with a couple of bolts. See if you can get some bits of wood under the gearbox and sump to relieve the pressure on the beam whilst taking the subframe off then once its off stick some axle stands underneath the rear engine mounts and that should be fine to leave in place whilst getting it refurbed.

use the engine hoist just to allow you to remove the frame, and put large blocks of wood under the engine to support it while the frames away. dont bother with the brace without the wings fitted.

i'm going to have an experiment when i get home, thanks for peoples help/advice.

How much does the engine/gearbox weigh? i did think of supporting the beam from the garage joists/trusses, but can't get to them with the garage door open.

i think if i disconnect the engine/gearbox mounts and see what happens when i start winding the engine up with the beam, slowly of course

I lifted a 1.8 4pot engine by a winch on the garage joists once no trouble, thin modern timber in the building too, the VR with box and ancilliaries is fairly hefty though.

3corsameal, its not about the weight of the engine, its about the wobble you are going to have when taking the bolts off. The bolts will be tight so you'll need some leverage, that may (and I say may as a worst case scenario) cause the brace to fall off one edge of the wing. If you throw your wings on it can't fall off anywhere so should be fine. The brace is designed to carry the weight of the engine so I wouldn't worry.

Like I said though, just to put your mind at rest put some wood under the engine whilst taking the subframe off then chuck some axle stands underneath the rear mounts when its off and that will be fine!

had a feel of it today, its really solid. I will get my mate down to check it though as he is going to help with removing subframe, i'll basically just drop it onto him :lol:

my dad suggested putting a strip of wood each side of the legs, and overlap the inner wing with it, then clamp each side, it would stop it moving left or right......maybe, could be a bit fiddly and going to have to remove washer tank and power steering tank