davidwort

track rod removal tool

anyone tried one of these before?

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/150753249651?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56357[/ATTACH]

I've got the chance to borrow one at the weekend and it looks like it turns a nightmare job into a pretty simple one, providing I can get the gator and balance tube on the rack back in place

Edited by davidwort

yep, you remove the track rod end and it goes over the entire rod and grabs onto the inner joint like irwin bolt grippers, but with movable jaws to accomodate different sized inner joints, means access can be just from the wheel arch and no struggling to get a spanner onto the inner joint flats. Saves loads of time and effort apparently, which I can believe as I ended up having to drop the subframe several inches to get onto the old ones with spanners and wrenches on my valver and that was with the car on a garage ramp.

I'm in the process of changing my track rods & ball joints. I was tempted to buy this tool, but settled on a 32mm crow foot socket spanner which was cheaper. The other advantage of the crow foot spanner is that you don't have to take the track rod end off first. If the track rod if old the end may be difficult to budge. Looks like a good bit of kit though! And if you can borrow it for free, even better :)

I had a problem with a rounded bolt on the ball-joint plate, so i didn't get round to finishing the track rod. I did use the crow foot to loosen the track rod as I was worried it would be a pain to remove, thankfully it came off easily enough :-)

Round 2 is scheduled for tomorrow and no reason to thnk the crows foot spanner will be a problem.....shame i can't say the same about the ball joints.

Well, I've done the job with the removal tool and it was a piece of p1ss, fantastic bit of kit, will post a few pics on my gallery later, had it all done including the tracking in minutes, much gratitude to my old man for letting me use all his tools and 4 post ramp on a Friday afternoon, would have taken me all day at home. :D

Edited by davidwort

Newbie Question

I have to do both track rods on my VR6. Being new to Corrado's i had a look at the manual and it calls for the Rack to be removed. Is this anything to worry about ? Or is it a case of try this way and if its stuck in tight take the rack out.

We did mine without removing the rack. Think we had to jack the engine up a bit, but that might of been for something else.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

need to change the track rod ends in mine - are the ones from AVS ok for this? Also, i'll be doing this on the driveway so any pointers appreciated.