Sam.l

G60 woes :-(

Hey everyone,

I'm experiencing problems with the running of my G60 (again). Upon hard acceleration there is a hesitation and 'throbbing' (Cant think of a better word to describe it!) of the power delivery. I suspect a boost leak possibly but after checking the pipework I cant seem to see any obvious signs. It also seems to flutter slightly at idle sometimes as if its going to cut out but it never does. Can anyone give me any advice on what I could be missing or suggest any possible reasons for this behaviour? The plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm have all been replaced recently and are still in great condition. Could it be fuel delivery? Someone I know mentioned the fuel filter and giving the injectors a 'flush' using a substance put in through the petrol tank. If anyone can help id be greatly appreciated as the corrado 'love' is being tested at the moment!

Thanks in advance,

Sam.

Get checking for air leaks and agree the fuel filter should be replaced.. when was it last done?

As Jim says change the fuel filter if you don't know when it was last changed, also while the 60 is running give the pipes both sides connected to the fuel filter a good wiggle and make sure they are not leaking, these are very prone to perishing over the years which causes stuttering-accelaration problems....... Keep the love ,not many of us left now....Good luck.

Also check the hose that comes out of the right hand side of the fuel rail to the fuel pressure sensor.

This also perishes and leaks.

The car will stink of fuel when cold ifit is leaking there

Right, been outside checkin around the car and the points mentioned. There seems to be no signs of any damage to the hose on the end of the fuel rail to sensor and also the pipes to and out of the fuel filter. However, the filter itself does look pretty ancient. I've had the car for nearly 3 years and havn't changed it. Could the filter itself cause problems like this? It's worst under load/hard acceleration. Also, are there any other places prone to leaking with regards to boost? It feels as if once pressure builds up under hard acceleration it just lacks. Please, help!

I've changed the ecu relay recently the last time I had some problems. Psiburr, do you know which one on the fuse board is the fuel pump relay and was it the relay itself or something behind the fuse board itself? Thanks for the help guys.

Can anyone help? On the way home today it seemed more than ever, just generally running pretty lumpy and sorely lacking power. On top of some douche bag reversing into me and wiping out one side of my car this morning I am not a happy corrado owner!

Fuel pump relay is in the far right bottom as your looking, and will be either 80, 67, or 167 depending on the date of manufacture.

Right, been outside checkin around the car and the points mentioned. There seems to be no signs of any damage to the hose on the end of the fuel rail to sensor and also the pipes to and out of the fuel filter. However, the filter itself does look pretty ancient. I've had the car for nearly 3 years and havn't changed it. Could the filter itself cause problems like this? It's worst under load/hard acceleration. Also, are there any other places prone to leaking with regards to boost? It feels as if once pressure builds up under hard acceleration it just lacks. Please, help!

Absolutely the filter can cause this. If you think that it sits in line with the fuel system and if it's ancient, clogged up, blocked then it will starve the flow of fuel especially under load when the flow of fuel will increase.

Thanks for the comments guys, 1st thing to do this weekend then is new fuel filter. If I can get those old clips off! They

Look pretty fused. Will post up whether this was the problem I've tried, may also relace the fuel pump relay aswell. Tick those off the list. Then onto trying to sort my sad looking front end :-( new headlight, wing, and grille. Bugger.

sounds like the classic g60 crank pulley notch failing to me,mine had the same symptoms and finally gave up and wouldnt start,you need to check the timing marks all line up

Again, had done this recently the last time I had problems like this. Replacing the entire ignition system, plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotar arm had solved this. What do you mean about the pulley notch? Is it down to the crank pulley bolt? Having checked that all the timing marks line up and after the ignition parts solving the issue thought that that may not be the problem.

Again, had done this recently the last time I had problems like this. Replacing the entire ignition system, plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotar arm had solved this. What do you mean about the pulley notch? Is it down to the crank pulley bolt? Having checked that all the timing marks line up and after the ignition parts solving the issue thought that that may not be the problem.

its a vw design issue,but if all your marks line up then your ok,the bolts loosens allowing the pulley to move slightly which in turn wears the crank and the pulley notch

New fuel filter, still the same problems. Even disconnected the battery for a while in the hope it might re-boot the engine bugs that are in there ha. Of course to no avail. Vacuum hose from the ECU and Fuel pump relay next point of call, but wouldnt a relay work or not work rather than let me run the car and give me problems? Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

---------- Post added at 8:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:45 PM ----------

Just had a look at the fuel pump relay and the two copper pins/spades look pretty corroded which is leading me to hope that this is actually the problem. Psiburr, did just a new relay solve your problem? or was there work to do on the fuse board itself? im hoping not the latter! Is that relay available at the dealers or a halfords or summit? i havnt noticed the other relays having copper spades to them.

Day off today and hoping to sort this relay in the hope that it will cure the problem. Is it recommended that I get one from the dealers? Or will a halfords job suffice? Just wondering whether I'll need to order it in from the dealers. Would be good to get one today. Any advice will be much appreciated! And psiburr, any word on my question on the fuse panel? Thanks again in advance.

Starting to cure the problems, but still not 100% happy. Changed the fuel pump relay, fuel filter and have recently realised a gaping crack in the small rubber pipe off the left hand side of the inlet manifold going to the for (I think!) could explain the fuelling issues. Next up, I pulled out e vac hose from the ecu to inlet mani and for starters it's about 5cm too short to be a full 1m long, as well as it being quite perished near the inlet end. I am correct in thinking this hose has to be exactly 1m long? Off to halfords in the hope that they have some hose, otherwise will have to wait another day. Any other advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks again peeps.

---------- Post added at 1:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:15 PM ----------

That was supposed to say, the small rubber hose off the left hand side of the inlet mani to the FPR! :-) iPad autocorrect :-/

Car is running a lot better, think the small rubber hose to the FPR seems to have been the main culprit! Just having a look behind the inlet manifold and the other braided hoses that come from that area, going into the hose-work for the carbon canister a hose from that is quite perished on the manifold end. Could this cause running problems or is this directly linked to the carbon canister therefore not doing that much anymore as the car is over 160,000 miles now. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

I have the same problem and my mechanic is leaning towards the fuel pump (the 1 in the tank) but tbh, I'm still not sure. I'm going to try what you've done first i think :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I've done so far has definitely made a difference. Just want to carry on and make sure everything is tip-top now.