Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Odd droning noise from passenger side front under braking?

I don't think this is anything major but i'd like to be sure.

Only seems to happen from the passenger side and is especially noticable (ie quite loud) when I have just washed the car for some reason.. this is what makes me think its just something to do with the brake disc but I dont know what.

But under braking I get a drone which changes dependant on speed right up until I slow down and stop. Sometimes you can hear it, sometimes you can't, and even when you can its not very loud. But as I said, you can very clearly hear it the first few times you use the brakes after washing the car.

Tarox discs & pagid pads, for reference.

Any thoughts?

Well i'd think so - I haven't really got the facilities to get the wheel off and take a look. The pad being worn was the only think I could really think of, but it seems odd that it would only wear on one side.

Its due for a service in a month or so, so i'll get that checked out.

Are the discs grooved?

I've got grooved pagid discs and they drone a bit, especially when the grooves are full of compacted brake dust.

Is the noise augmented on turns or does the noise remain constant regardless of wheel direction?

K

Well i'd think so - I haven't really got the facilities to get the wheel off and take a look. The pad being worn was the only think I could really think of, but it seems odd that it would only wear on one side.

Its due for a service in a month or so, so i'll get that checked out.

It often happens that brake pads wear out faster on one side than the other. But this sounds more like a wheel bearing problem to me. If it was the brakes worn out it would be making a really bad tearing noise and you'd even see little bits of metal on the wheel instead of the normal black brake dust.

Ok - Kev - the discs are grooved and I haven't cleaned them or anything so that could possibly be the cause. The noise sounds pretty samey regardless of direction or anything.

And Geo - I pretty sure its not wheel bearings as I think they have been replaced already on my car in the not so distant past!

S'funny, when someone has droning disk brakes, I expected them to mention that the disks are *grooved* as one of the very first things!! :lol: