ChrisL

Mountain Bikes

Bikes look nice Kerrly. Will have to get a Corrado forum biking day sorted.

Two of my friends went out today at pedal a bike away and one came off quite bad. Was out cold for a few minuets and couldn't remember the crash or anything after it. A+E said he is just concussed thank fully. Luckily his bike wasnt too bad from it and will only need new handle bars.

One of my friends used to do downhill racing and has only stopped because he broke his shoulder doing it and my other friend was trying to keep up with him on one of the downhill tracks (he has only been doing it a month or so like me). apparently he went head first over than handlebars and landed on his head.

Hope he is back to 100% be next weekend as we are all going up Snowdon!!

I'm getting a bit older now and no stranger to coming off 2 wheels, (used to go over the bars on purpose to make em laugh!) and growing up racing and jumping my bmx in my younger days but i've gotta say i'm definatly thinking alot more about consequences and not being able to earn £££ because i have an injury is a very real element when im driving to the trails, but i can safely say it all goes away when your hurtling through the braking bumps and trying to doctor smooth the backsides;-) love it all good fun!

^ I know exactly where you and Swompy are coming from in terms of the potential for it to end in disaster but it's like driving, if you drive like a twat you will likely get caught out. If you remain within "reasonable limits" you can enjoy riding without fearing for your life.

It is kind of lucky that the A&E is so close to the cycle centre if you do come off badly. Fortunately i have only ended up there once so far and that was as a result of working on my mates mk2 golf. I snapped a socket whilst undoing the gearbox which resulted in my finger being smashed into the box breaking it at a weird angle!

Edited by kerrly
double post

Had my Felt Q620 stolen from my garage on Saturday night along with the Wifes Scott road bike.

looks like the insurance company will offer new for old in the way of a voucher to the equivalent value of the Q620 2013 model. Looking on bike websites I think the latest model will be the Felt six 60.

So its this or pay a little extra and get the Scott aspect 630. Would welcome any advise on whether the Scott is worth the extra or whether I'd be paying for the name.

Cheers!!

The Aspects are a superb choice mate, they now also do a 29 er version which are very popular too.

^^ Haha well spotted the red one ( a Saracen Xess that I resprayed in red oxide) donated it's saddle to the DDG and it's not been replaced yet. I only built that bike the other day out of spare parts for a mate to borrow when we went to the Forest.

The blue GT is a 1999 Arrowhead, my first bike I bought with my own money, my parents thought it was "silly" spending £300 on a bike when an Argos one was £90 but it's survived 14 years where as most Argos bikes don't last 14 minutes. It's a road/pub bike now and my bro (mrginge on here) uses it for work.

I also have a 1992 GT Pantera frame which is from the days when GT frames were still hand made in the USA.

Always wanted a GT Zasker LE in blue with the 3 spoke carbon wheels.

The Aspects are a superb choice mate, they now also do a 29 er version which are very popular too.

I like the look of the Aspect but not sure if it is worth paying the extra over the felt, they have different equipment. I thought about 29ers before as I also use the bike for commuting to work, have you heard any reviews for them for offroad?

Sorry to hear that mate that must suck.

Bit of a bummer as my wife really liked the colours of her bike and the replacement version isn't as nice.

This is my new stead

E7E39717-FF08-408B-9368-A879D2AA956B-590-000000436E379903_zpsa774b093.jpg

Think I am going to kill myself on it as not done downhill before lol

Yeah sold quite a few and people seem to like them as they do roll a lot better on most off road trails, if you were after something for more serious off road ie downhill then a 26 would be better.

so far demand for 29 ers is higher than 26 so a good sign :)

Cheers Kip, I'm not a 'serious' rider, its more once every couple of months we do the red run at Dalby (which normally takes the day to complete) and the rest of the time I bike on the tarmac to work and back (about 8 miles each way).

I think 29ers will be prettey much standard for XC in 5 years time...

Then a 29 is definitely for you mate in my opinion.''as KipVR says, Specialized are saying now that next years range will all be 29.

Others will be doing the same too.

Got myself a new bike yesterday. Brand spanker LaPierre Zesty 514. Its bloomin light.

Wasnt even looking but it was too good to miss plus p/x'd my old bike. The missus is jealous as I she just got the 214 version a few months back and paid more than I did. Would never have thought Id spend so much on a bike though.

First go tomorrow, lets hope I like it.

Edited by coullstar

Don't really do much riding anymore myself.

Tends to be once a year when we head to the Alps. Was planning on it again this year for our 4th time but decided with the main lift in Morzine being down I couldn't be arsed to explore new tracks on my own, the GF only rides the easier stuff that bores me and non of my friends ride anymore, or are injured, off doing other things etc.

Probably head out again next year though where I will be doing this kind of thing again on my Trek Session 10.

Fresh paint and stickers.

IMG_2737_zps1365d0e6.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Got myself a new bike yesterday. Brand spanker LaPierre Zesty 514. Its bloomin light.

Wasnt even looking but it was too good to miss plus p/x'd my old bike. The missus is jealous as I she just got the 214 version a few months back and paid more than I did. Would never have thought Id spend so much on a bike though.

First go tomorrow, lets hope I like it.

You could buy a good Corrado for that kind of money!! Plus at that price you would think they could put the bars on straight and throw in some pedals.

I know but they are nice bits of kit. Dont worry I didnt pay anywhere near the normal price and wouldnt. Some of the folks i know have £5k bikes and its a hobby but then they would think Im mad having a 20year old car as a hobby as well.

Believe it or not you dont get pedals with the bike but I have some anyway.

I have a posh mountain bike, another thing i've bought and never used, did about 20miles on it, not used it for over 2yrs now.

Another thing i should really sell. Its a GT Idrive.

Just got myself a Marin shoreline trail 29er, replacement to my specialized hybrid - love it. Its only got front suspension, but i dont do big jumps etc and im a casual rider- it does the job. Alot better than the hybrid for my needs.

I have a posh mountain bike, another thing i've bought and never used, did about 20miles on it, not used it for over 2yrs now.

Another thing i should really sell. Its a GT Idrive.

I know the feeling, encouraged by this thread I went out and bought a Cube back in January, think I've done about 10 miles on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74798[/ATTACH]

That why i bought my bike as I couldnt have soemthing like that sitting about. Tried it out for the first time last night and what a difference. It climbs so much better and downhill sections are a piece of ****. Still managed to get a puncture though.

Any of you guys had experience with "slime" puncture stuff. Was tired of getting thorns etc in the tyres (on hybrid where there is no centre grip blocks), got some "slime" put into the tyres of the new bike, but yet to experience how good it is (thankfully). The guy at the shop swore by it.

Opinions?

I spoke to a guy about 15min ago who said this was good to use. Ive known about this on motorbike tyres for some time.

Theres also tubeless option but I think that more of a weight thing.

Well it looks like I won't be riding for a few weeks (or not until after the wedding if the mrs has anything to do with it) came off my bike on Tuesday and dislocated the AC joint in my shoulder (basically tore the muscle between the collar bone and shoulder! And as it won't heal back together I will have a permanent bump from the collar bone on my shoulder. Not quite as bad as kips tho ;)

Was coming down a little down hill track (more twisty than jumps) and came to a section of 3 small jump took the first 2 no problem and on the landing of the 3rd just didn't land right. Before I could get control or slow down I plowed straight into a tree stump inches off the track. Got buckarooed off the bike Landing pretty much on my shoulder then sliding down the track on my back!

So now I'm stuck at home waiting to be given the all clear! Can't drive any where and when I do walk I can feel my shoulder moving on every step.

Bike came off better than I did tho! Luckily all I need to do is replace the front wheel as it looks like a Pringle!