cupra tommy

Kr 16v Alternator and powersteering belt sizes!!

Hiya,

so the belts on my corrado are starting to look a bit tired,plus seem to developed a whining sound,so for the money might aswell change then too see if thats whats causing the problem!!Only problem is that GSF dont seem to list a powersteering belt for my car,But eurocarparts sell four different types all with different sizes so was just wondering if anybody knew the exactly size of each belt???

Cheers

Tommy

---------- Post added at 8:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:56 PM ----------

Ok after a bit of research it would seem that early kr's seem to have a problem with the idler pulley on the water pump which causes a whine,ive taken it off and given it a spin and it sounds like a shaking a bag of gravel,seeing as these are apprently pricey to replace,how would i go about changing the belt system to the later kr an 9a belt system where the powersteering is driven direct from the crank,and another belt drives the waterpump and alternator?? any part numbers and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

UPDATE:

I Found the parts numbers for the pulleys needed to change the belt system over,rung VW up and the parts are now obselete,so looks like I shall have to bite the bullet and buy a new idle pulley from vw heritage for £50 so if anybody could help with the belt sizes for alternator,and powersteering pump that would be great??

Cheers

I had this problem a month or two ago.

What i have done is simply removed the idler pulley and am running a belt from crank direct to alternator, then original belt for powersteering. All u need is the correct length belt for the alternator and to remove idler pulley.

Piece of cake and works fine!

I changed mine last week for an ECP contitech one. Part Number - 202770045

The PAS belt they supplied though is too small! :bonk:

I went to halfords and got the correct belt, there were two variation in sizes luckily I managed to guesstimate the right one. If you can take the belt in with you and you will be able to check yourself, plus they were not expensive either.

I cant remember what size i got mate sorry :( they are only a few quid so bought a few sizes for trial and error :) 108 sticks in my mind but that could be something completely irrelivant lol