Stonejag

Reattaching Beru lead ends

This might be a really obvious question, but how do you attach fresh cable to the spark plug connectors from VW lead sets? I can see the brass screw that the wire terminates onto, but how do you shift the rubber boot back down the cable so you can screw the cable into it? Are you supposed to uncrimp the metal shielding part first?

More to the point, do you need the metal bit on it at all? I haven't got the lead tool attached to my bonnet prop so not sure how it's supposed to grip - could I just use standard straight terminals instead?

Ta :)

Stone

Stonejag...ref the lead tool, it is not on the bonnet prop for all cars. Some have it attached to the car jack wrench. That is were mine is. I will happily put up a picture tomorrow to show you its location if you need me to.

Edited by DriverVR6

Not 100% sure what you mean Stonejag but by the sounds of it you've pulled the lead out of the HT lead end (the bit that clips over the spark plug). You can literally push the cable back in and just screw until its tight without smashing the lead to bits and pulling the metal off but to be honest when you get to that point its time to start thinking about new leads and a HT lead removal tool in the not so distant future.

edit: Here is a good place for leads, I have heard good things about even the cheapest set.

I bought a ht lead tool from ebay, see item # 190514479332, was much cheaper than the genuine items that I had seen for sale. Works a treat.

Stonejag...ref the lead tool, it is not on the bonnet prop for all cars. Some have it attached to the car jack wrench. That is were mine is. I will happily put up a picture tomorrow to show you its location if you need me to.

We've had this conversation before, I haven't got one ;)

Not 100% sure what you mean Stonejag but by the sounds of it you've pulled the lead out of the HT lead end (the bit that clips over the spark plug). You can literally push the cable back in and just screw until its tight without smashing the lead to bits and pulling the metal off but to be honest when you get to that point its time to start thinking about new leads and a HT lead removal tool in the not so distant future.

I'm going custom...standard red/blue isn't quite going to cut it! The plan was just to get some relatively cheap leads, whip the ends off and screw on the original screened connectors (since I think you have to use original-style ones to have any of the removal tools work) to see if I can get it working. If not I'll get Dubpower to make some, thanks for the recommendation :)

Stone