Critical_Mass

Fuel Strike - what have you heard?

Damn it, just drove past a stall selling bananas and now have 150 bananas due to me panic buying them.

I'm now panic regretting it...

I panic bought 100 cans of anti-perspirant. Just in case I panic about being stuck in a panic buying queue and start sweating....

Sauntered into my local Tesco - no queue, most pumps available - and brimmed the VR. No problem!

BP garage further up the road into Warwick was chaos though, bizarrely.

Absolute chaos down here.

Queues of 100 plus cars at all the stations I have been past.

Glad I filled up Monday, will do me 2 weeks if I behave

I had to fill the golf today a it's was on the red line. My local garage was out of petrol completely. I managed to find one so brimmed it so was hoping to drive the family to Norfolk over Easter. Not so sure now.

"Industry analysts said demand was highest in parts of the country that had an older population.

In Christchurch, Dorset, police closed filling stations after the popular retirement town became gridlocked with motorists trying to fill up."

Perfect day for a misfire issue to arise...

I have a nephew works for Chevron. He tells me...

"Some people don't know how good they have it! I love how the government are saying that armed forces personal are trained to drive hgv's, they may well be, but they are not trained to load on site. Not sure if there would be much sympathy for the drivers if people were aware that they are on a salary between 30 and 45k. Somedays they only work 5 hours or so as well! General mood is that it will go ahead though."

No info on when though.

It's bound to be Easter weekend which will screw me right over as I was planning to take the family to Norfolk.

Either that or maybe the Olympics week :D

I'm off out to try to fill the Corrado later. It's on half a tank and that won't be enough if I go to the CCGB AGM. I also need to filly my lawn mower jerry can as it's run out and I can't mow the lawn. I'm actually quite embarrassed doing that as people will think I'm panic buying which I'm really not. I genuinely need to mow my lawn.

Went to the local shell garage last night and its usually always quiet there regardless. But it was heaving! I genuinely needed fuel and when i got out the queue had grown and was now even longer!

I didnt realise tanker drivers were on 30-45k a year!!!

I had to get petrol this morning.

I had to queue, guy in front had a big jeep thing and was filling up the big metal tanks as well, i had to wait about 20mins, then as i pulled up the guy came out and put signs on the diesel to say out of stock :lol: Luckily i use petrol, didn't fill all the way up and left feeling moody.

I'd heard Easter weekend which could mess the Elsecar meet up if none of use can get fuel!

There's already many stations running out around the NW as people panic buy.

Everything sold out near me. I also read on another forum (unconfirmed) that VPower deliveries are being suspended as the drivers are being diverted to regular deliveries to keep up with demand.

Can I run mine on regular unleaded? It's a VR6 but has modified cams and map. How bad will it be to use that? If it's going to cause a longer term problem then I'll just leave it in the garage until everything blows over.

This is bad news, the Mrs was meant to be driving to W Yorks, then Manchester and back in the R32. That'll take more than the half tank she has left.

Went into the petrol station today to put in some juice. As above, a guy filling a 4x4 and a row of nice shiny new jerry cans. The old couple in an ancient Micra used the pump before me, he kept trying to get more in when the cut out stopped it. When I got to the pump after he was finished he had managed to put £2.38 worth of petrol in his car. Gobsmacked was not the word. Saw that sales of jerrycans have jumped by 4000% in the past couple of days.

I am down to 1/4 tank, so hoping there will be fuel left in Banbury when I get back from London later today.

One is obvioulsy going to have to stay off the heavy foot until this is resolved.

I did know this was the type of salary, my brother took all the qualifications to drive these and other chemical laden HGV's years ago, but decided the risks were too high.

So, I think we should consider this Danger Money, Not that I know all the risks but can't imagine it is good. How many HGV drivers do you know that follow HEalth and Safety Rules rigouroulsy.

Can I run mine on regular unleaded? It's a VR6 but has modified cams and map. How bad will it be to use that? If it's going to cause a longer term problem then I'll just leave it in the garage until everything blows over.

That's why it has knock sensors. 95 unleaded will be fine.

Don't know what's just been agreed or if this is right but update from my nephew...

"I love it. Fuel strikes ruled out. I have to have a laugh at all those that were queuing for ages to get fuel."

And BBC news says

"An Easter strike by fuel tanker drivers has been ruled out by the Unite union.

It is to join conciliation talks but said a strike could be called for after Easter if those broke down."

so it could still happen but later.

Edited by Butterfly

Just goes to show what a gullible, panic driven nation we are.

Petrol is at a record high and yet, people still flock to the pumps in droves, on the strength of a rumour. Bloody moronic sheep, the lot of us. The only people to benefit from these past 2 days is the government. All that extra juicy fuel duty. Just coming up to the financial year end. They've got billions to find. Kaching: thank you very much oh gullible motorists of Great Britain.

And after artificially creating a massive demand, they'll announce a 2p cut in duty to keep the anachists at bay.

The only people to benefit from these past 2 days is the government.

And my nephew. He's been VERY busy filling tankers down in Cardiff and is well on his way to achieving target for his bonus :)

... All that extra juicy fuel duty. Just coming up to the financial year end. They've got billions to find. Kaching: thank you very much oh gullible motorists of Great Britain...

I heard it was all a devious plan by the Government to keep the official GDP figures in the black for the first 1/4 of this year too :lol:

If only we had a government that was actually that clever and organised...

And all this happend just both my cars are on the red, grr both full now though ;-) I want to drive the c over the weekend and cant be sitting in a 30 min que in my astra on monday morning. 2 petrol stations out of 3 near me are empty.

I think its all been a ploy to distract us from the sausage roll/pasty tax.

Very sneeky.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

I think its all been a ploy to distract us from the sausage roll/pasty tax.

Very sneeky.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Quite right and don't forget the Granny Tax and the drop in tax that the top earners pay. This as been a total shambles from the start aided and abetted by the Government to distract the press away from last weeks budget.