Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

excessive petrol comsumption

abybody got any ideas why my corrado seems to be getting such a low mpg figure i have been suggewsted to check the timing (not from the pulley though instead using a gerabox mark?) anyway is there any particular sensors i should be keeping an eye on as since i removed the one just below the dizzy my slow deceleration has been sorted. so does anyone know the corract wiring to th connectors on the side of the head under the dizzy (3 underneath and one at the back of the head) . could it possibly be a mixture problem?

thanks bobby :D

Check your rear calipers aren't binding - common problem & check the rest of the running gear, tyres rubbing, etc.

oops sorry its a h reg 1.8 16v kr, checked the calipers they seem ok, low as in 15mpg!!! :shock:

Timing is not adjustable on a 1.8-16v (k-jetronic mechanical injection).

I suspect you have the timing belt maybe a tooth out ? Worth re-checking - can be fiddly to get right sometimes.

Car will still run but will not have very much power.

Could also be a blocked fuel distributor (quite fragile) - are you getting fuel into all 4 injectors ?

stevemac...the timing is aj on my kr golf, make sure you disconect the red black wire under the coil

ive noticed mine is a little heavier on fuel since stealth bumped mine from 6 to 9 deg

The off idle timing is not adjustable on the KR engine. You can however adjust base timing by turning the distributor.

You need something like K star or a standalone to produce an off idle timing map.

K

ok i will check that each injector is getting fuel steve, i does seem a bit on the slow side below 3k revs anything above that and i starts to shift quite nicely :D . so i take it i need to disconnect the red and black wire under the coil adjust the timing from the distributor and keep taking it for a spin until it seems to perform best, then turn of the engine and reconnect this black and red wire to the coil?

thanks bobby

My 1.8 16v can produce very low mpg,about the same as yours if it is ragged. Try driving like a saint for a bit and you will see that MPG get alot better! As for it being slow under 3k, thats just a chracteristic of a 16v engine, they only get quick at about 4k and over, all the way to the red line :-P

bobby mate...the MPG on the MFA could be out...what you'd need to do is run the car a fair bit not just town (urban) driving...where it will show 15mpg. It doesn't neccessarely mean its 15mpg..its just cos the computer doesnt have enough time between you starting and driving then stopping the engine to work out the exact mpg..

On longer journeys the figure should read 27mpg+ around town should show about 20-23mpg.

A drilled or cut airbox can effect the mpg too!

Sanj.