Sign in to follow this  
dubbprince

ATT: ALL AQUA BLUE PEARL GUYS! LC5U

hiya guys..

i've just resprayed my wing in that colour along with some washer jets and it seems to be a purple colour in the light...

Has anyone apart from me had this?? i have the paint mixed up according to the code and the guy i got it mixed by has seen my car and knows its not purple.

Its a very nice purple too...a very metallic purple, i'm worried that its a completely different colour as i've spent the last 4days prepping the wing!

No other paint code matches the description of the colour...so i can't pin point it.

Please let me know what my best option is...other than taking it to a good bodyshop as they want £150.

Thanks.

Sanjay.

As far as I know that's what Aqua Blue Pearl is supposed to do in bright sunlight, give off a purple hue.

You'll only get the full effect in quality sunshine and your car needs to be really, really clean/waxed/polished...

DtM.

yep. Mine goes purple when the sun shines on it at a certain angle!

That`s the pearl effect :lol:

Strangle everytime the guy sprays bits for my car i always think there isn`t enough purple(Pearl) in it :wink:

Same paint code : LC5U

yup, just sprayed my rocker cover and it looked distinctly purple until I laquered it... If you're unsure, put a bit of the paint onto some waste metal, leave it to dry and then laquer it and compare it with your car's colour to check for a good match... If it doesn't take the paint back and start shouting! ;) :lol:

My car goes REALLY purple when in direct sunlight, she looks stunning and is pretty much the main reason I wanted a car in this colour... 8)

Same here, looks great in the summer... If it is clearly different tho it means the mix is slightly wrong, maybe too much Purple :?

More likely is the rest of your paint is faded/matted and the new stuff is showing it up.

Get the rest of the car machine polished to bring it up to the same standards.

guys thanks for that vote of confidence....i'll stick the wing on which is already sprayed and laquered...lets hope its not a major eyesore.

Can someone please ring me as i'm trying to take the front bumper off and having no luck from the previous posts on its removal..

I'll call you back so you don't waste your money helping me out for a bit...07900 986635

Thanks!!!

Sanjay. :cry:

front bumper removal is dead easy.

Remove all of the small bolts from around the lower spoiler.

On either side under the front of the car there is a set of 3 bolts, 2x17mm head, 1x 13mm head. DO NOT UNDO THE 13mm headed bolt! undo the 2x 17mm bolts each side, and the bumper will then slide forwards and come off.

You may have to unhook the inner wheel liner from the bumper as it hooks inside it, and don't pull the bumper off too fast as there is wiring behind it for the indicators and foglamps that you'll need to unplug as the bumper is pulled forwards. 8)

mine appears purple after a wash.

also, if you look under the bonnet, or any other part that isn't exposed to sunlight (under interior trim etc) then those parts will look purple too.

guys this is a VERY DARK misty purple...very much like G60 Jets.

it has no blue in it whatsover apart from when its in shadow it goes dark blue...i guess another repsray will be in order but i have the wing in now.

Literally been workin on it since 10am this morning and i've got in at 11pm after puttin it all back together again.

I couldn't undo the two bolts either side..they're frozen solid! so the bumper stayed on and i somehow carefully slid the wing into place! nowt much else i could do. :mad:

Anyways...guys thanks for all your help and i'll try get a picture of my misfortune of a wing.

Sanjay.

if u know someone with an airgun u should have tried that as sometimes these acn work wonders getting rusted bolts out, before u get the wing spayed again does the wing look way to shiney compared to the rest of the car ? if so get some wet n dry 1500 sand paper soak the paper in a bucket with liquid in it and rub thw wing down gently then get hold of some g3 (rough) or g10 - fine grade (if u have a proper buffer) then apply this to the wing and rub in circular motion, will take ages without a buffer.Go easy on the corners as the paint will be thin here. This should help get a better match between new and old paint and often lighten ups the appearance of the paint. I take it u did use 2 pac primer as a base, and then 2 pac paint and then laquer? just give me a bell if u want me to go through this with you mate.

Bobby :mrgreen:

yes mate..i was wondering you'd show up in this thread :)

I used two pack paint and also primer with activator yeah...and then laquer with harder all had a bit of thinner in there too.

The wing looks very dark and purple...this can't be the laquer doing it can it? it does look shiny yes and i'll be taking it to my mates place to get buffed properly using the G3 stuff to cut the paint a bit...cheers for the tips though mate, i tried buffing it on my old polo wing and it came out dull and matt finish so best off takin it to my mate with the proper equipment.

unless you can get drill attachments for buffing? i haven't seen them in halfords.

Cheers again.

Sanj.

p.s. how will i sort my washer jets out then?? theyre purple too :lol:

ok when you flatten the laquer down the shine willl be lost and it takes i fair bit of buffing to bring it back, just remember to go easy on the speed of the buffer and keep the wing fairly wet or else you may end up burning through your paint job, as for the washer jets i reckon your best of getting some paint that matches if u want it perfect, they are quite small so u may be able to get away with them being a touch out. To tell u truth mate it sounds like someone made u up a shady match, where did u get the paint from? I've had this problem before and its a pain because of the time spend doing the prep work, but if it is sprayed again u should be able to get away with not needing to primer the wing as it will be based on the same colour(ish). the laquer shouldn't really effect the colour it just gives a clear shine to the main colour and brings out the thrue colour. good luck with getting it sorted mate

p.s. how hard was it to get the wing of without taking of the bumper as one side on my c bumper aint feeling coming off either!! :roll:

thanks Bobby

just washed, cleaned, and polished mine.

I have a nice purple car sat outside work 8)

bobby- your right about the shady match its too purple...i'll take a photo of it now and upload it soon.

the washer jets are still off as i can't find the wiring loom for the heating mechanism to rewire them up....can they just go to live and negative on the battery?? that'll mean they're on all the time.

as for the bumper...mine would not come off at all! so i ended up ripping the old wing off the car with full force and it was STUCK on with some sort of mastic glue that gave it a weld onto the chassis.

The wing had two 10mm bolts tucked under the bumper u can see them through the join line of bumper to wing...u can access these from under the bumper and then undo all 5-6 bolts on top of the wing and two at the front which tuck it onto the slam panel.

then one inside the wing in the middle (remove arch lining first though)...then one hidden under wing next to the door to the left of the jacking point.

now pull with all ya might or use a heat gun to heat the mastic enough first.

new wing will need to be carefully tucked in and takes about a good 15mins with a mate as you don't wanna scratch the door.

Thanks again.

Sanjay.

yeah that stuff is waxoyl that is under the wing, can be a pain in the ar$e to get off sometimes. As for the washer jets i'm not sure where the wiring comes from but i'm sure someone on the forum will be able to help, I'm gonna change mine to mk4 polo ones as they spray the water ten times better than corrado ones but they are not heated. :wink:

can everyone now see the pic of my wing above showing the colour difference?

Bobby- i thought the washer jets are the same shape and look as the corrado ones except have plastic water jets inside instead of the metal heated ones in the corrado...good thinking though! i may do that.

Hey Sanj, I painted the eyebrow on my car with paint from VW & I found it didn't match either! then again the paint on the car is alot older! :roll:

yeah i know...my g/f also mentioned that the paint on the car isn't going to be perfect (near 12yrs old) so i guess i'll just have it mopped and perhaps blended at some point when i have the cash.

How much was your eyebrow bally?? i might go for seperate eyebrow and debadged FK grille.

yeah looks like a shady match to me , the best way to check is normally put the painted panel up agianst something that doesn't get a lot of wear i.e inside of doors near lock mechanism but as u have put the wing on now its goons be hard to do, i now toa guy in leeds who matches the paint from the car and the code and mixes it taking age and fade into account :mrgreen: . to tell u truth i wouldn't bother respaying it as it loks like u have done an alright job there and the colour will definitley brighten up when its flattened and buffed. :-P

B.

i'll try buffing it and if it does nothing to the difference in appearance then i'll save up and have it repsprayed properly along with some other bits like a new front grill. That way i know its done and looks good.

The wing looks like new now and the bonnet, drivers wing and bumper are now in need of a spray...i might as well save up £600 and have the whole car done in one go instead of spending a spare £200-300 on just wing and grill and rear debadging.

yeah i know...my g/f also mentioned that the paint on the car isn't going to be perfect (near 12yrs old) so i guess i'll just have it mopped and perhaps blended at some point when i have the cash.

How much was your eyebrow bally?? i might go for seperate eyebrow and debadged FK grille.

Eyebrow was £20 from a stall at a VW show at donnie last Nov.. not sure if I'm keen on it yet, fibreglass stuff never fits right :roll:

I was in Halfords the other day to order some paint for my C to spray my eyebrow. When I gave them the Code LC5U it came up on their computer as Aqua Blue. :roll: I was under the impression that My C was a moonlight or midnight blue pearl effect which was on their computer as LC5V, so I had them make the paint up for me as the LS5V code. When I got home & sprayed my spoiler It ended up being a very dark blue and looked even a bit green. So I went back to get them to make up the LC5U (Aqua Blue) paint for me and its a match. The computer even told the person mixing the paint to add a red which is the purple colour you can see at certain angles when you look at the car.

cheers russ...i'll just ave the guy mix me up some proper paint and have it repsprayed on the car when the weather perks up...

Your cars definately aqua blue....moonlight blue is a very dark navy colour.

I'll be gettin some of that spray....how much was it out of interest? :mrgreen:

Sanjay.

I think it's £8.99 for a 300ml spray can (might be £9.99 though). It's weird mixing those paints up btw. I was doing one for a white car and there was black, orange, yellow, red and white in it!!!! It's mad.