fendervg

Part# for plastic VR6 rocker cover

Does anyone have a part number for one of these ? Have to do my vlave cover gasket and read that they have a bit more sound deadening effect as they are plastic.

Cheers.

Cheers - I know there's a different gasket as well - have the part number for that. The bolts are captive as well - so the old studs will have to come out.

Gasket - 021103483B

Plastic Valve Cover - 021 103 475 M

Metal Valve Cover - 021 103 475 G

That gasket is for up to chassis no. M 014 000. For M014 001 onwards try 021 103 483D.

There's probably not a lot of difference, maybe a different material.

That gasket is for up to chassis no. M 014 000. For M014 001 onwards try 021 103 483D.

There's probably not a lot of difference, maybe a different material.

Correct!

The old style gasket is for the metal style covers, part number: 021 103 483 B - This is like a flat ribbed gasket (13.40 +vat)

The new style gasket for the plastic type cover is: 021 103 483 D - This is the same shape but has a long rib which sits within the plastic cover and is wider (more surface area on the head). (£13.63 +vat)

Edited by P3rks

Great stuff - thanks for all the help. Does anyone know if it makes much difference damping the engine noise ?

Great stuff - thanks for all the help. Does anyone know if it makes much difference damping the engine noise ?

Massive!

Only Yesterday I changed from the metal type to the plastic type and mine had such an annoying tick coming from the rocker breather area. Now I'm running the plastic type it's quietened down loads; It's still there but not as metallic or tinny sounding.

When you actually look at the head design and the underside of the cover you'll see why, it's pretty much a big gap/hole in the head for the crank to breathe and literally a box section with a hole for the rocker breather, add that to a metal surround and you have perfect acoustics and metallic resonator for amplifying sound.. Great design there VW. :bonk:

Massive!

Only Yesterday I changed from the metal type to the plastic type and mine had such an annoying tick coming from the rocker breather area. Now I'm running the plastic type it's quietened down loads; It's still there but not as metallic or tinny sounding.

When you actually look at the head design and the underside of the cover you'll see why, it's pretty much a big gap/hole in the head for the crank to breathe and literally a box section with a hole for the rocker breather, add that to a metal surround and you have perfect acoustics and metallic resonator for amplifying sound.. Great design there VW. :bonk:

Hum.... Need to fit mine then...