skeggyboy

What code is my VR6 Mercedes engine? Please help!

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me as I have a mercedes v-class with a VW derrived 2.8 VR6 engine. After a bit of scoping on the net, Im led to beleive its a corrado engine, although I thought these were 2.9s. I need to find out if its a OBD1 Or OBD2 engine. The problem Ive got is I think a valve is burnt out. Ive only had the van for a week and would prefere to get a lower mileage replacement engine as the origional has done at least 150k by my guess. Ive got to remove the engine to take the head off anyway as there is NO room to fart in the engine bay.

Cheers for any help. Newbie Steve.

P.S- I have owned a rado in the past as well as several 16v gti's and I have a T25 bus that im rennovating and a regular at BUGJAM so Im no stranger to Dubs.

Steve,

It deffo isn't a UK/EU corrado engine, these are as you say a 2.9 and 190 bhp. Just a quick google indicates yours is 174 bhp which is akin to the Golf Mk3 2.8 engine.

I don't know enough to say whether all the ancilliaries are different, but if the lump is the same then a mk3 2.8 matches the specs of your engine. I would look for one of these first.

Steve,

It deffo isn't a UK/EU corrado engine, these are as you say a 2.9 and 190 bhp. Just a quick google indicates yours is 174 bhp which is akin to the Golf Mk3 2.8 engine.

I don't know enough to say whether all the ancilliaries are different, but if the lump is the same then a mk3 2.8 matches the specs of your engine. I would look for one of these first.

Thats what I thought dude its a 12v but I read somewhere that I need an OBD1 engine........... Now is the OD1 engine the 12valve and the OBD2 engine 24valve? Or is there any other differences that make the OBD1 and OBD2 distinguishable? Ive never done much homework on this engine as ive always gone for the lighter 16v engines. Helllpppp!

OBDI = All Corrados (2.9) and early/non Highline MK3 Golfs (2.8 ). Both 12v

OBDII = Mk3 Highline Golfs (2.8 ). Again 12v

Difference between OBDI and II ... various bits and pieces - the search will tell you if you're interested.

24v - you're into Mk4 engines.

I'm sure someone will be able to tell you which engine you're looking for but I doubt it would be the Corrado 2.9 tbh.

Post a picture of your engine and in particular the throttle body and it should be clear. OBD2 has a built in ISV so only 1 pipe coming off the plastic inlet elbow whereas obd1 has an external ISV with 2 pipes coming off the inlet elbow.

How old is it? After some googling, it would appear you have a V280 and if it's a 98-01 vintage, the information I've found indicates it has a 24V VR6 in it?!? If not, it'll be an OBD2 12V out of a Golf.

As suggested, take a picture of the engine and we'll be able to help more.

OBDI = All Corrados (2.9) and early/non Highline MK3 Golfs (2.8 ). Both 12v

OBDII = Mk3 Highline Golfs (2.8 ). Again 12v

Difference between OBDI and II ... various bits and pieces - the search will tell you if you're interested.

24v - you're into Mk4 engines.

I'm sure someone will be able to tell you which engine you're looking for but I doubt it would be the Corrado 2.9 tbh.

actually, my 1997 VR6 Golf (which wasnt a highline) was OBD2... and had the single top chain too.

---------- Post added at 3:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:01 PM ----------

you may find this guide useful;

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?106705

So is that engine a factory fit, or is this some transplant that someone has done? I'm intrigued!

Factory fit. The original Mercedes specs are 2792cc and 174hp, in other words, *exactly* the same as the Golf's VR6 engine ;)

actually, my 1997 VR6 Golf (which wasnt a highline) was OBD2... and had the single top chain too.

---------- Post added at 3:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:01 PM ----------

you may find this guide useful;

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?106705

Yeah I think we know with all things VW, there are always oddities and mongrels. I should have put a caveat in my answer but didn't really think it affected the OP too much if there were a few exceptions not mentioned on this occasion.

Yeah I think we know with all things VW, there are always oddities and mongrels. I should have put a caveat in my answer but didn't really think it affected the OP too much if there were a few exceptions not mentioned on this occasion.

Cheers Fellas for the info, Ive been busy clearing the junk out of the garage so I can get out of the elements! Ive got to take Mother dearest to hozzy tomorrow then its gonna be Friday until I get me finger out and get the motor out and then Ill let you know what I find. Ill get a pic and try n get it uploaded cos im a bit thick in the uploading dept. Watch this space, Steve.

Hi all, got the inlet manifold off and its a 12 valve motor with a single top timing chain. Was going to remove the head but I ran out of light before I could hunt for the timing marks and chain tensioner. Im prob going to have to remove the whole engine just to see them, Doh!

Ive taken some pics of the engine and now im just trying to get my noggin around uploading them onto here, Steve