Portent

Hypothetical question - replacement engine head

Hypothetical question... if I were to source an alternate head then how much would it cost (ballpark figure in hours or cost) to get a garage to swap it over. i.e. drive in, hand the keys over and drive out. Nothing wrong with mine but I can get hold of a refurbished head for the future.

My car has already had chains done and new cams but the previous owner didn't do any other work at the time so it seems a sensible precaution.

To clarify... just the labour cost, not the cost of the head itself.

Edited by Portent

^^ Thanks for the above.

Yes VEGE. Does anyone know the difference between:

AAA code 1993 - 1997 Schrick variant

AAA code 1992 - 1993 distributor variant

I assume the 1993 - 1997 would be right for my coilpack 1994 VR. But why does it refer to Schrick?

God knows.

The only difference with the 12V heads is the later ones (OBD2) had a revised internal casting around the chain area and for EU3 emission vehicles, EGR ports added.

The dizzy and coilpack hardware is all in the cam wheels / cover plates etc, not the head itself.

Would an OBD2 head fit on an OBD1 bottom end? Or would that involve additonal changes too? I'm just wondering if I get the wrong one then will it be a problem?

---------- Post added at 5:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:40 PM ----------

Ok I have a little more detail on the 1993-1997 one:

"2.8i schrick 1993 1997 motronic hydraulic lifters, tuned version without hole in distributor cover, with air injection reactor"

I'm starting to doubt that's the right one and I don't know enough to guess whether the 1992-1993 variant will work either. Any thoughts would be much appreciated but it may well be a case of flip a coin and take pot luck.

---------- Post added at 6:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:02 PM ----------

A little googling has shown that there is a slight difference between dizzy and coilpack heads; the coilpack heads have an air injector hole (no idea what that does). So potentially neither type will be a straight swap. I'm sure it could be made to fit but not sure the effort.

i thought the heads were all the same for all vr's, just that the dizzys have a different end plate for the dizzy and the pick ups on the dizzy cams??

i hope so anyway as my head should be here anyday.

So you went for the dizzy head? If so then I'd welcome your feedback once you've received it and had a look over it. VEGE confirmed that "a dizzy version will fit a coilpack corrado but it's not a straight fit".

put it this way the engine i fitted (the re-built one) was a dizzy, i just changed it over to a coilpack and its worked fine.