P3rks

Master Cylinder/Servo: Upgrades/replacement - MK3 late type

Hey everyone,

As I'm sure some of you are aware the Corrado VR6 master cylinder is obsolete from VW and it's hard to find a replacement, also with 288mm dics/calipers initial bite and travel is poor.

I'm currently breaking a late 1997 Golf VR6 and have noticed the master cylinder/servo to be of the MK4 type.. Well it appears that way being as the MC is alloy. I've also noticed that the MC mating face is flat rather than the 45degree angle of the Corrado.

I think that the Corrado VR6 MC is 23.8mm where as the lateMK3/Mk4 is 24mm (from what I've read across the net - can anyone confirm this?)

After a bit of looking on vagcat I've noticed that early MK3 VR's shared the same master cylinder as the Corrado VR's but a different servo (from the looks of things the Mk3 uses a ball type pedal fixing for the servo where as the Corrado uses a push pin type).

Also, to top it off the ABS unit on the later Golf VR was upgraded for a different ABS unit and ABS ECU whilst the ABS travel mechinism was removed, as was the rear compensator.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone down this route with their Corrado and uprated to the late MK3 Servo/MC/ABS set-up.

When driving the Golf the pedal feel and brake set up felt really really good, modern and I had loads of confidence. Something I have always felt the Corrado VR6 Lacks.

Part of the problem is mechanical, the lever ratio's could use changing too.

Having said that, I agree that the late model Golf ABS would be an improvement, I have the complete set-up that I'm looking to fit sometime in the summer.

I don't know the VR6 or Golf MC sizes (I'd like to know them), I've also heard that the Audi quattro MC "fits" (or can be made to fit) and is 24mm, I don't know if this is true or not though.

Kev has been looking at brakes over the years, not sure what he's currently using.

Cheers

Simon